New chain problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just fitted new chain and cassette the chain keeps coming off of the largest rear cog, I have not adjusted anything as yet, the only difference to the last set up is I had an Sram chain and cassette and now I have a shimano HG50 cassette and a KMC 8 speed chain,one thing I noticed with the last set up was the chain never sat on the largest cog properly it was as if there was a tight link in the chain as I only used the large cog rarely I never thought any more about it until I just fitted new cassette and was going through the gears and when I got to the largest cog it threw the chain off, this happens on all the chain rings,also it is very hesitant changing through the gears, any ideas?

Radius

SHREDDER
Looks like you'll need to index the gears again. Coming off on the largest sprocket sounds like the low limit screw needs adjusting, and the hestitant changing I'd put down to cable tension.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Agreed. Sounds like you need to tune the rear derailleur.
Have a squizz at this article / vid (bicycle tutor).

See that Radius? Some people fit a new chain before their outgoing one explodes :?:

Radius

SHREDDER
Now, this chainset was new at crimbo on the bike, so it was not outgoing, I'll have you know :?:
(but it was my fault for removing a 9 speed chain without a powerlink, it's just too fragile...)

Top Bottom