New chain suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inkd

Hi all, just got an 04 spesh hardrock that has been abused for years and am doing it up as a project / to better my mechanical skills. I have tinkered and replaced a few bits but next up is a new chain, its running on 8 speed and the chain is shot but looking at either new shim HG40 chain or KMC-Z7. Both up for a fiver on Chain reaction at present. Any preferences or not much in them?
Thanks.

Heigue'r

Veteran
I would go kmc, after doing a bit of research for a new chain myself, I ended up choosing the kmc one

D

Deleted member 23692

Seeing as KMC make Shimano chains isn't all this KMC Good, Shimano Bad interweb default a bit daft?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Seeing as KMC make Shimano chains isn't all this KMC Good, Shimano Bad interweb default a bit daft?
I think KMC make the lower spec Shimano chains, well they at least used to, but the higher spec are Shinano Japan. I have no idea of the current situation. For some reason I have something against Shimano chains and cassettes even though for everything else I am a 100% Shimano man.

Klassikbike

Yeah KMC makes all the Shimano chains which are under 10-speed.
Nothing wrong with HG40 chain, they are very durable. On my commuter after 30,000 km they are still ok but that bike gets used only for easy riding.
My MTB I get only about 3,500 km per chain.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The deciding factor for me is that KMC and SRAM chains come with a quick link connector. Shimano chains rely on a special joining pin which needs to be installed correctly and the stub peened to make sure it's secure. The KMC joining link is far more reliable and doesn't depend on the correct tools and techniques to fit it.

Motozulu

Über Member

The deciding factor for me is that KMC and SRAM chains come with a quick link connector. Shimano chains rely on a special joining pin which needs to be installed correctly and the stub peened to make sure it's secure. The KMC joining link is far more reliable and doesn't depend on the correct tools and techniques to fit it.

Exactly as Cubist says - Shimano = faff, KMC = piece of urine. Also I've had a shimano chain snap on me - never had a KMC one do it though.

D

Deleted member 23692

Granted the Shimano snap-off pin is a pain, but there's on one forcing you you use it.

I always use Shimano chains (XT or Ultegra directional ones) with KMC links... never had a problem :smile:

Motozulu

Über Member
Fair enough and I must say my Bird Zero arrived with a Shimano chain (with a power link already on the chain) and so far it's been faultless. I guess end of the day we are creatures of habit, I've always had KMC and that one snapped chain has probably coloured my perception of Shimano chains. It also helps though that CRC were knocking the KMC chains out for £12.99 recently :smile:

D

Deleted member 23692

Conversely I've only ever used KMC once and that snapped twice, so as you say we are coloured by our own experienced. Likewise I look for deals on my 'chains of choice' too.

The internet is a great tool for folk to regurgitate others people's opinions as their own fact. And everytime a a 'recommend me a chain' thread pops up the KMC fanboys (and girls) always rally to cause. ;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
Granted the Shimano snap-off pin is a pain, but there's on one forcing you you use it.

I always use Shimano chains (XT or Ultegra directional ones) with KMC links... never had a problem :smile:
But given the additional costs of a joining link, I default to buying a chain that already has one.....

Top Bottom