New Chainset Suggestions for my Folder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
OK, the chainset on the Tern is getting a bit old and creaky and I'm looking to replace it before it gives way. The original is a plain old one piece crankset and a bit on the cheapside.

The Tern is a single speed bike with a narrow rear end, 120mm, so I need a crankset that will give me a 45mm chainline. The current one is square taper and to be honest I could also look at Hollowtech if there was a suitable one. The real problem though is the size of the chainring, my preference is for a 48 tooth minimum or 52 tooth chainring in order to keep the existing gearing as it is.

So far I've only managed to find this one on Amazon:

Litepro Chainset

Has any one any other suggestions? or thoughts on the one I've linked to?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Says now discontinued on Amazon.
SJS have a Alfine chainset with a choice of 39 or 45T.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainse...cs501-2piece-chainset-with-chain-guard-170mm/
You need to check the offset on your current set.
You could even use a Hollowtech if you wish which come with bearings. Fits any threaded BB.
Plenty more on their site but mostly 11/12 speed. What size chain have you got?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I should have mentioned, I'm in Germany so SJS or Spa are no good for me as they won't ship here.

The Litepro is available on German Amazon, I just popped the link in for the English Amazon.

I have pondered the Alfine which is available here in Germany, but I'm not convinced 45 teeth is enough.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Like @chriswoody I'm looking for a new chainset.

I have a Sora setup on a bike I picked up cheaply. Lovely crisp gear changes that far exceed my expectations, but the chain does slip in some gears so I think there must be uneven wear between chain and the teeth. New cassette and chain are cheap. Initial prices for chainset seemed higher than expected.

Must admit I originally thought to just buy a complete new groupset, but most of this one looks brand new, so all I really need is new chainrings, chain, cassette and a precautionary HT2 bottom bracket. REckon I can get those for under £100.

Supposed I'll do cables and handlebar tape too, but still seems a bargain compared to a new groupset. Am not planning to keep the bike anyway, or else might donate it to eldest child.

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
You could even use a Hollowtech if you wish which come with bearings. Fits any threaded BB.
Plenty more on their site but mostly 11/12 speed. What size chain have you got?

I have a Shimano CB E110 single speed coaster brake hub on the back wheel, lovely little thing that is a devil to find info on. I have a Shimano official tech doc with an exploded diagram of the hub which says that there is technically a 14 tooth cog available for it, but the internet denies all knowledge of such a thing existing, so I have a 16 tooth Alfine/Nexus hub cog on there.

Chain wise, I run a chain designed for Alfine internal gear hubs, because that's the sprocket that's fitted to the hub. The problem I'm having is finding a chainset with only one chainring and sufficiently large enough tooth count to still give me a decent enough gear with the tiny 20 inch wheels on the Tern.

I've looked into your suggestion of an Alfine crankset and I am seriously pondering it. Drawbacks are that 45 teeth will give me a lower gear than I currently have, 51 inches compared to 59 inches. Also the Alfine has a chainline of 42.5 mm rather than the 45 I need. I could offset the BB with a 2.5 mm spacer, but I'm not sure if that would then affect the fitment of the crank arm on the other side.

Kell

Veteran
....doesn't immediately suggest that you need new chainrings/set. I'd try a new chain and cassette first and see if that solves the slipping

Yup I'd do that first. If you still have an issue, try rotating the chainrings forwards (or back) a couple of spokes. You'll have fewer worn teeth during the power phase of the pedal stroke.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Yup I'd do that first. If you still have an issue, try rotating the chainrings forwards (or back) a couple of spokes. You'll have fewer worn teeth during the power phase of the pedal stroke.

Huh, never thought of that.
I have heard of turning a chainring over so that the chain engages the unworn sides of the teeth.

Although with a certain manufacturer making weird assymetric designs, both options could be impossible.

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I have a 56T Spécialités TA Alize on my Bike Friday - pretty much this one: https://www.wiggle.com/p/ta-130-pcd-alize-outer-chainrings-54-56t . Would that work for you?

Thank you very much, that's the kind of helpful post I was looking for when I started this thread.

So @Cycleops suggested an Alfine crankset and I've been looking much closer at this over the last days. It seems the hub I have should have a chainline of 42.5 mm, which matches the Alfine chainset exactly. Now I originally Wasn't so keen because of the low tooth count, however, it also has a 130mm BCD, which means I could get a 50 tooth Sora Chainring for it, or go for your suggestion of a TA Alize chainring which goes several teeth higher.

The only downside I can now see to all of this, is cost. At least I don't have to pay the outrageously high prices from SJS cycles, but still, i could be looking at 90 Euros for the crankset and an additional 26 Euros for the Sora chainring, or 45 Euros for the larger TA Alize chainring. It's a shame that i can't get hold of just the Alfine crank arms on their own, so looks like I'll have a spare chainring.

So thanks again and I just need to get saving now and deciding on which chainring option to go for.

Top Bottom