New commuter/bike guy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_goosey

Hi all

After being surrounded by a few 'bike enthusiast' friends here in London, I've been converted to the cause, and am soon to get a new bike, and start commuting to work, and riding around town generally.

I've been persuaded that getting a hybrid is the best option, and I'm looking at the Cannondale Bad Boy 700. Anyone have any opinions on this? My use will be almost exclusively in inner city London. I'll be commuting around 7 miles each way, from East to West and back again, with the odd trip to other places in the city.

I'm also a bit worried that my lack of experience on the roads will put me in danger doing the long trip to work!

Anyway - just wanted to say hello.

MRG

jimboalee

Nice bike.

Browsing the Cannondale website, I came across the Hooligan.

I had something similar to that in the sevenies. A mish-mash of spare bits that could make up a ridable bike. ;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello Goosey ;)

A Hybrid sounds a good option. You will be fine on the roads - just be sensible and use lashings of common sense :angry:

Good Luck with the commutes!
SD

OP
OP
M

mr_goosey

Cheers guys. Would riding a road bike be faster? Also - the bike comes with "Schwalbe Kojak Bad Boy Edition 622 x 28" tires. A friend advised getting Kevlar tires to avoid punctures. Will the tires this bike comes with be prone to puncturing?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Kevlar will help. I have just put these (28mm) onto my Hybrid to try a thinner style from the previous 35mm Specilized Nimbus (with Kevlar) tyres that came fitted.

On the Numbus I had no punctures until one morning when I had 2! :ohmy: Had already used the reserve tube on the 1st one so ended up walking with the bike for the last 10 mins and fixing both tubes at my desk when I arrived at the office.

So Kevlar will help but it is no guarantee ;)

Hi MRG, I have started to commute once again I stop for a while, because 1st I didn't have a bike for a while and 2nd I had a van as I was starting a business that didn't work out and was driving everywhere so i got lazy and the van was parked outside ;)
I haven't even been near the van in over a week :biggrin:

mr_goosey said:
Hi all

After being surrounded by a few 'bike enthusiast' friends here in London, I've been converted to the cause, and am soon to get a new bike, and start commuting to work, and riding around town generally.

I've been persuaded that getting a hybrid is the best option, and I'm looking at the Cannondale Bad Boy 700. Anyone have any opinions on this? My use will be almost exclusively in inner city London. I'll be commuting around 7 miles each way, from East to West and back again, with the odd trip to other places in the city.

I'm also a bit worried that my lack of experience on the roads will put me in danger doing the long trip to work!

Anyway - just wanted to say hello.

MRG
I used a hybrid for a couple of years a Claud Butler Odyssey i found it to be a nice ride but wasn't keen on the upright riding.
I now have a Raleigh Venture Pioneer tourer with drop handle bars

Oh before I forget let us know it is going, and enjoy the commute.
Even if you have experience of commuting, all cyclists are @ risk of accidents, so I wouldn't let that put you off.
IMO as long as you ride sensibly you should be ok

Top Bottom