New commuter road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider that was part of the reason I figured it could take the fairly smooth commute I have.

The Roubaix was on sale - about £1k off. In general do people know if there are many bike sales in a year? Understand previous year models are discounted but ideally wouldn't wait for next year.
It’s not predictable and Specialized control the price at which their bikes are sold by dealers. If it’s £1k off now and the only bike you want and your size is available, then buy it

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There's always discounts available in what is known by economists as a disorderly market.

Usually on older models and less popular sizes, such as small and extra large.

Pauls was one of the first of the year round discounters.

Still going, they have quite a few carbon roadies in your budget.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/road-cycling/bikes/carbon/male/instock/onsale/adult

Gekko21

Regular
I think the key to success in sales (not just bikes but anything really) is to be super organised. Narrow down your target bike to 1-3 options. Know the exact spec you require and the size (which will probably be different for each manufacturer). Be clear upfront on any compromises you are and are not willing to make and don't deviate. Know what your ceiling price is - what you can afford and what would represent value for money for you. Again, resist the temptation to deviate.

Once you have that list, identify the retailers that sell those bikes. Keep tabs open in Google Chrome for each of them at all times. Sign up for their email newsletters and check each website at least once a day. As soon as a bike that fits the criteria comes up, hit the buy button immediately.

I bought my London Rd this way. I narrowed it down to 2 bikes, knew the specs and prices I wanted to pay. As soon as the email alert came through with the sale deal, I'd bought the bike within 2 minutes. There were only 2 available and the discount was huge. Planet X have tons of sales but I later found out that the reason for this one was that they were introducing a new spec and flogging off the older version. There are loads of reasons for sales and the traditional end of the cycle season is just one of those reasons. Shops might want to get rid of a bike that has been sitting around on the shop floor for months, there might be a slight scratch or other defect, they ordered in a bike for a customer who then didn't want it, they have an odd size they can't shift etc. etc.

Good luck with the search. I look forward to hearing what you get.

Top Bottom