New Commuting Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
Seriously thinking about getting a new (hybrid) bike for commuting. Thinking about a Trek 7.3, but would appreciate any advice about alternative good/bad points. I've had a Trek 7.? (0 or 1) for a few years and its been OK, but I've no strong ties to it. Its now falling apart and repairs are going to be getting close to the purchase of a new one (with the cycle to work scheme). Criteria?
* I'm larger than average ~192 cm and ~93 kg, so the Trek XXL size is appealing as is a hybrid over a road bike, especially for coping with rubbish on roads on dark mornings/nights.
* Budget is ~350 (after cycle to work scheme discount). Don't want to spend much more and have to leave bike at station, so don't want it to be too attractive.
* Commute is ~12 miles each way so weekly mileage is ~100. It will be well used and don't want it to fall apart after a few months.
Ideas/advice?
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the overall budget, presuming you have calculated the c2w discount? Or is the purchase coat £350? What retailers can you use?

I'd have a look at specialized, ridgeback and giant too

OP
OP
M

MartinQ

Guru
Was thinking of a new price of ~£500 hence the discounted ~£350. Not seriously considered the retailers, as I work in education and many of the local shops seem to support c2w.

stephen davies

Picked up a 2014 giant roam 2 week ago, retails £499. Its mainly for winter but am impressed so far. Its heavy compared to what I'm used too but good for training. Brakes are good and although its got a suspension fork it has got lock out. Recommend it.

OP
OP
M

MartinQ

Guru
Picked up a 2014 giant roam 2 week ago, retails £499. Its mainly for winter but am impressed so far. Its heavy compared to what I'm used too but good for training. Brakes are good and although its got a suspension fork it has got lock out. Recommend it.

Sounds tempting. Having front suspension (with lockout) would mean that I could use it for some mild off road stuff with the kids next year. Only slight reservation is about the XL frame size (largest). There is a bike shop near by that stock both trek and giant, so a trip along may be necessary.

OP
OP
M

MartinQ

Guru
1m92 isn't massive? 6'3?
Something like 6'3 - 6'4, with slightly longer legs and shorter body. Its usually at the top end for an XL and from past experience I have the seat up to max extension (which to me always looks a bit weird), hence the interest in the trek XXL but willing to try others.

Top Bottom