New Commuting Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
That should do the job, you'd only need more gears if your commute was hilly. I reckon most riders of high spec bikes would struggle to notice they were on a budget bike if the shiny bits were covered. They did a similar experiment on motorbikes a few years ago, and no-one got the make/model, or even engine size right! As for embarrassing clipless moments, I've done over 3k since I went for spds, and still haven't fallen over. Well apart from when I lost the front wheel and hit the deck. Oddly enough, I don't recall any probs in getting my feet out, I just skidded, hit the ground, got up and retrieved the bike.

Rozza2012

Regular
Have you got the bike yet? Let me know how it rides, as I'm looking on buying a commuter bike and had a tight budget. This is only 19.99£ more than a Carrier Subway

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Cheers all. Will let you know how it goes Rozza. Aye, it was a good day for savings. I can't afford to splash out big-style because of income / young family...etc but I got a bargain with the bike, and got a BC discount + an additional £15 off the shoes / pedals.

£305-ish isn't bad to go clipless on the road bike and have a whole new commuter bike!

simon.r

Person
Looks a decent bike, especially at that price:thumbsup:

I think that many more bikes should come with a single chainring, especially those aimed at novice / occasional cyclists (not suggesting you're in this category!) I went out for a pootle with my girlfriend this morning and it's horrible watching her try to get the right gear combination with a triple chainring and 8 speed cassette:rolleyes:

Top tip re the SPDs - don't assume your cleats will fit non-Shimano pedals. I did - I clipped in on a friend's bike fitted with A.N Other brand pedals, with no problem. A quick ride round the block, got back, came to a stop...and fell slowly sideways as I couldn't unclip:blush:

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Top tip re the SPDs - don't assume your cleats will fit non-Shimano pedals. I did - I clipped in on a friend's bike fitted with A.N Other brand pedals, with no problem. A quick ride round the block, got back, came to a stop...and fell slowly sideways as I couldn't unclip:blush:

Nightmare! I've got Shimano shoes and pedals, so I'll avoid that scenario, thankfully. I'm going for my last clips & straps ride in the morning.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Wahey, my pedals and shoes have arrived! Not before time either, as I had a wet ride this morning and my feet kept slipping off the pedals.I'm off to go and fit them. Oddly nervous!

Top Bottom