New Commuting/Pleasure bike £500-700

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I've started commuting to work (approx 25mile round trip) but after 6 months grinding along on my old Land Rover mountain bike am thinking it's time to get something more suited to the task. I'm hoping my employer will sign up to the cycle to work scheme, and if so my ideal spend would be around £500 but I could stretch £100-200 higher if it would make a big difference in quality and durability.

My route is mainly tarmac roads and paths with a bit of gravel track. I'd also like to use the bike for 20-30 mile evening rides on gravel tracks (old railway lines etc) and country lanes a couple of times a month. Priorities are something easy to maintain, quick, lightweight but comfortable over longer rides with bag(s). I use a backpack atm...did wonder about panniers but not sure...

I've only ever had a mountain bike and am finding the breadth of options a bit bewildering so would appreciate any advice as per road/hybrid/cyclocross (not even sure what the difference is in the latter 2?). Bit scared of roadbikes because of riding position but open to all good arguments around best styles for my needs.

The Boardman hybrids looked good in Halfords today, but even there I didn't really understand the difference in the team/sport/Fi models - are they worth a punt and if so which would be the best Boardman for me do you think?
Also saw a Cannondale Quick 4 that looked tasty and my mate said something about Tribans but haven't actually seen or heard of those myself.

Would prefer to use a local independent shop if poss.
Do shops let you take a couple out for a test spin? Seems daft spending £500-700 on something without being able to give it a go?!

Thanks in advance for any help. Andy

Tomtrumps

Not an expert but I was in the same position last year and considered a Boardman Team hybrid, lovely looking bike with a great finish and excellent spec for the money. Basically Pro is the best , then Comp and then Team. Fi is the women's range. I ended up with a Whyte Portobello which is rather nice but probably not as good spec as the Boardman despite being more expensive. I just loved it when I saw it. I was also interested in the Ridgeback Flight range which always review well. Anything of that ilk would probably be perfectly suitable for yor needs. It the going is a bit tougher you may need a fatter tyre though? Others are probably better qualified than me on this though.

Tribans, exclusive to Decathlon, are road bikes with great spec for the price but probably wouldnt be particularly happy off road. They do some flat bar bikes but I think they are designed for road use too.

Cyclocross sounds ideal for you if you are comfortable with drop bars. Bit gutted I didn't get one myself but they all seemed to be more expensive than the road hybrids I was looking at.

I don't know how it works at independent shops but Evans allow you a good go.

Top Bottom