new computer needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skwerl

Tynan said:
depend what you need to do I guess but I have no idea for regular riding beyond cadence and that can be had for £30 tops

it's a lot of money in the scheme of things, to me anyway

no offence was meant if you're sporting £500 of the finest cycle computer on your ride

no offence taken. some people would say spending 3k on a bike is insane but it's all relative and specific to the person spending the cash.
I wanted a comp that had wireless cadence and speed plus had a HRM. The CS200 was one of very few that does that.

By the way, just realised I said Cateye. It's a Polar CS200cad.

ledley

I just got a garmin edge 205 off ebay for £70 new inc postage. It doesn't have cadence or heart rate but I think the more expensive 305 does.

I wanted the gps as i've been getting lost a lot lately. Anyway there were a few on there going for between £60 & £70. The seller was called emilyandlilly if interested.

OP
OP
S

sykes

Elmer Fudd said:
My (Tesco) wireless computer was v. good until I switched l.e.d. light on, then I was doing 27mph while standing next to bike rolling a tab.

Nice one going to get one of those!!;)

thanks for the advice all, going to wade through recomendations :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
User76 said:
If you don't mind wires that much, may I suggest getting three boxes of Kellogs cereals and sending away (free p&p!!)?

http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/cyclometer/

My son thinks his is great, and we needed some cornflakes anyway:biggrin:

had cornflakes this morning, the first time for ages and remembered how much I liked then, and then why I stopped eating them, there's a ridiculous amount of broken ones, sometime a third of a box and I hate that

OP
OP
S

sykes

Right finally got one now change my mind about the whole wireless thing cos the full wireless ones are v pricey! and people said they where unreliable..
so went for the new cateye cadence i think it's called it's very small and neat hopefully the wires will look ok? cost £34.99 and I didn't go for the online option (so a total u turn!) and went to condor.
Great shop could spend hours and lots of money very easily in there! :rolleyes::blush::becool:

Tynan

Veteran
lbs man did mine but nice tight winding down a brake/gear cable and then down one fork, wouldn't know it's there

mikeitup

Veteran
Oh no....

AAggghh!! Wish I had found this forum a few days ago. I have ordered a Cateye Micro Wireless and after reading this thread wish I hadn't ordered it now> :ohmy:

frog

Wired computers have a down side as well. The thin cable ties which come with the computer can crush the cable over time. You finish up with a nice computer with a speed sensor and a 'work if and when I feel like it' cable in between. I've gone back to what we used to do as a kid. Get some half inch insulation tape, two complete turns around the tube you want to attach the cable and finish off with two complete turns to hold the wire in place. You can even get colours which match the frame and forks.

Been doing this for the last two years and haven't had a wire fatigue fail on me yet :ohmy:

Will1985

Über Member
mikeitup said:
AAggghh!! Wish I had found this forum a few days ago. I have ordered a Cateye Micro Wireless and after reading this thread wish I hadn't ordered it now> :ohmy:
Why not? Everyone has their own personal experiences - just read about the conflicting opinions of the Conti GP4000 tyre!

I can only speak for Sigma and I started off with wired BC600 and then BC1200 models, and now have 2 wireless: BC1106 DTS and BC1606 DTS+Cad. None of these has ever failed or given weird readings. The 1106 on my fixed always worked fine, even with a pair of Cateye LED lights centimetres away... The only downside is having to buy a second battery for the transmitter.

Top Bottom