New ferry to Europe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Rosyth ferry might be running again, its freight only to start. Let's hope it's going to take passengers again. Save the nightmare of driving down through England for a ferry, and better than train to Newcastle and ferry for the cyclotourists.

iandg

Legendary Member
Aye, used to use Rosyth overnight ferry when I lived in Stornoway. Early morning ferry to Ullapool, drive down during the day, sleep on the Rosyth ferry and then onto destination. Sleep overnight on return and be fresh for the drive back to Ullapool :smile:

Baldy

Über Member
Sorry but it won't happen. This fairy story comes around every couple of years, last time it actually ran it lasted only a few mouths didn't make any money and was cancelled very quickly.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I used the Superfast ferry service a few times usually with the motorbike. It was a great route to use, and to start with, a nice ferry too. Latterly it was a very basic freight ferry with very little in the way of passenger facilities, and was a real slog for the 15 hours or so it took to Zeebrugge. I hope it starts up again, and that it isn't stupidly expensive. Being a sceptic by nature (it saves disappointment!) I agree with @Baldy in that it probably won't happen. Even if it does, it will be a ferry company taking the Government subsidies and running it for the shortest possible period before pulling the plug. As Superfast did previously.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I used the Superfast ferry service a few times usually with the motorbike. It was a great route to use, and to start with, a nice ferry too. Latterly it was a very basic freight ferry with very little in the way of passenger facilities, and was a real slog for the 15 hours or so it took to Zeebrugge. I hope it starts up again, and that it isn't stupidly expensive. Being a sceptic by nature (it saves disappointment!) I agree with @Baldy in that it probably won't happen. Even if it does, it will be a ferry company taking the Government subsidies and running it for the shortest possible period before pulling the plug. As Superfast did previously.

It was run by Norfolk line, after Superfast pulled out, for the last 18 months or so of the passenger service, I was on it in May 2010, about 6 months before it ended, the boat was the MV Scottish Viking and it was quite plush, a bit too plush for my liking, with loud music and too much cruise type fripperies, and very limited outdoor deck space.
Although I did manage to find a wee spot to put my thermarest and bivvy bag down to get a better sleep than on the 'budget' reclining chairs.

IMG_2006-01.jpeg

IMG_2023-01.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Were the reclining seats for passengers without a cabin next to the karaoke bar area. They do this for a reason as some will upgrade to a cabin if any are available. A short journey on Belgium roads then the Autoroute down thro France to the best cycling south of Lyon. Cyclotourists won as well onto nice back roads . Used the ferry a few times for the Etape de Tour.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Rosyth ferry might be running again, its freight only to start. Let's hope it's going to take passengers again. Save the nightmare of driving down through England for a ferry, and better than train to Newcastle and ferry for the cyclotourists.

We used a cargo boat from Leith to Antwerp which also called at Hull and Calais. Times were a bit approximate as it depended on cargo and we used the same on return.
Carried 12 passengers and was excellent value particularly as we were on bikes which would have been a nightmare to get to an English channel port.
We cycled to and from Bowling where we lived at that time early 1960’s.

Top Bottom