England : Hampshire New Forest Rattler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Theo42

So, I've entered my first Sportive; the New Forest Rattler (47 mile route) on 19th August.
I've got a mate to do it with me, which is a big boost.

The furthest I've ridden is 32 miles but that was due to available time, not tiredness so I'm sure I can do the distance, and I'm hoping to do it in a reasonable time. I'm averaging 70-80 miles a week but I reckon I can up that over the next month.

Is anyone else taking part or done it before? Are there any "epic" climbs??

DRHysted

Guru
I've entered the 78mile route. Looking at the map it appears to do Blissford hill, which I failed (and had a clipless moment) in the Wiggle Spring Sportive. Not sure about the rest of the route, but I do intend a trial run if I can just get enougth rest days.
My advice get alot of hill training in, then you're prepared for anything.

Wild Rover

Regular
So, I've entered my first Sportive; the New Forest Rattler (47 mile route) on 19th August.
I've got a mate to do it with me, which is a big boost.

The furthest I've ridden is 32 miles but that was due to available time, not tiredness so I'm sure I can do the distance, and I'm hoping to do it in a reasonable time. I'm averaging 70-80 miles a week but I reckon I can up that over the next month.

Is anyone else taking part or done it before? Are there any "epic" climbs??

A good choice for a first sportive - it's quite a benign, flattish course and you should not only get round, but be able to post a reasonable time. The only climb of note is of course Blissford Hill as mentioned above, but although it's 25%, it is quite short and could even be attacked;in fact that might be the best way of riding it. (Easy for me to say - I live & train around Dartmoor where some of our hills make Blissford look like a pimple.:smile: )

Good luck & enjoy it.

OP
OP
Theo42

Theo42

(Easy for me to say - I live & train around Dartmoor where some of our hills make Blissford look like a pimple.:smile: )

Aaahhh.... I've spent many hours hiking around Dartmoor with the Royal Navy! Never been out on the bike there though... would prefer that than a 50kg bergen and Royal Marines screaming at me, testing courage be submerging in the ice cold rivers at 1 in the morning in the middle of the winter! (bad times! :cry:)

Berties

Fast and careful!
we pop out onto the forest every now and again,the open areas are rally good riding quite often go in through landlord and out at Downton but on the way have to do the hill by the old Royal Navy bomb dump at Dean hill,that is one nasty hill,lots of riders ride up and down for a bit of hill training,also tiff nadell tests cars up there sometimes for different programes,
good luck with the ride the I say the distances you ride are mainly limited to time available,so you will be fine,

OP
OP
Theo42

Theo42

I'm moving to Bournemouth in a couple of weeks so I hope to get out to the New Forest quite a bit - will have to give Dean Hill a spin!

Top Bottom