England : Hampshire New Forest Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Anyone doing this tomorrow? I'm down to do the 85 mile route but had man-flu all week and still feel a bit rough so will try and switch to the 54 mile option. Weather looking a bit warmer for tomorrow but chance of rain, nothing new there!!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER.........apparently large parts of the course are flooded.

https://www.facebook.com/ukcyclingevents

Broadside

Guru
I did the Epic today on the New Forest sportive and the conditions were pretty horrible but not particularly dangerous. Towards the end however there was some flooding starting to appear and I imagine this will get worse as it runs off the fields, there were also a couple of fords to negotiate one of which I imagine will become quite fast flowing.

I think the real reason they have cancelled is due to the car park which is all on grass and was getting very churned up when I left, probably 50% of the cars were being towed by the AA or pushed by the UKCE crew, they were absolutely working their socks off literally sprinting around the field to the next car that needed a push. There was a huge turnout today and even though the forecast is a bit drier tomorrow the car park will not recover in time so I can understand why they have postponed.

Broadside

Guru
I also heard there were some protesters out today???

Not that I saw but there was some police presence at the site when it opened so maybe they were expecting problems. I heard there was a Radio 4 piece about the sportive this week (I didn't hear it) that said the event would stress the ponies, like the thousands of cars don't!!! The sportive on one weekend must really ruin the ponies year!

DRHysted

Guru
I also heard there were some protesters out today???

15 people and one placard at Rhinefield. Not really worth the word "Protestors".

P.s. my years of owning a 4x4 and using it offroad paid off. I may have been in a Mondeo, but I still drove off the field under my own power. I did feel guilty passing all the stuck cars, but I couldn't help.

Saw a report on South Today last week saying that the local MP Dr Julian Lewis was raising objections about mass participation cycling events in the New Forest. Guess what? Signs vandalised and tacks spread on the course. Some poor bloke not in the Wiggle event had a front tyre go and hit the deck breaking his collarbone. Anyway this is how it was reported in the local Southampton paper. It's worth scrolling down to read some of the online responses. Usual crap about MAMILS, RLJs etc by the unitiated.
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10354939.Vandals_target_top_cycling_event_in_New_Forest/?ref=mc

Gareth C

Veteran
P.s. my years of owning a 4x4 and using it offroad paid off. I may have been in a Mondeo, but I still drove off the field under my own power. I did feel guilty passing all the stuck cars, but I couldn't help.

My years in the North Pennines with snow and ice meant the Audi Quattro got some non-winter 4x4 use.

Had a good day out riding - nice at first...
standalone

...and then wet and windy later...
standalone

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Vittoria Pave CG tyres?

How do you rate them in the wet, I haven't got mine wet yet.

Gareth C

Veteran
I'm loving them - used them through the winter, and holding up well. The flints around here (Windsor/Slough) cut them up when you go off-road, and had one puncture as a result (but dug countless pieces of flint out of the tyres). Bought a second set for this Summer/Autumn when I have a few big rides, but will keep the first set for normal use.

No problem in the wet (I think they're designed for wet cobbles). Fast, stick to the road, and look pretty groovy. Using them as my wheels are 29-er MTB wheels on the cross bike, and as they're 24mm and quite deep, it's not like riding some skinny 23mm tyre.

Recommended!

Top Bottom