New Forum member & recumbent rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vangelo

Hello everyone.........my name is Vic, live in the Northampton area & turned 60 last year :becool:
I ride around my local bridle path mainly to keep these old joints moving for about an hour a day weather permitting!
I recently bought a second hand recumbent because the upright bike affects my wrists, groin & shoulders ache after an hour. The recumbent is great....now only my knees ache! I have read this will pass once I toughen up the muscles!
HPfinish.jpg

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself will post in the recumbent section.

Cheers

Vic

Hello and welcome to CC. The 'bent looks nice. T'is one cycle thing I'd like to have a go on. Happy cycling anyway.

henshaw11

*waves*
Not unlike mine, other than the OSS and disks :smile:

Oh, and the rack, but I think there's a few seat-back bags available if you don't fancy fitting the HPVelo rack.
Careful with the knees ;) - if you can try to spin, rather than labour, up hills so much the better.

OP
OP
V

Vangelo

Yes....I am learning. Seems nowhere near as efficient as an upright bike. I seem to be doing alot or work & not getting very far. I'm hoping its just my muscles that need to develop........:sweat:. Also, the other strange thing I notice is heart-rate. With the upright, I can get up to 160BPM. On this, 130BPM is tops. I'm wondering if laying down is more efficient for the heart?

The bike came with rack & mudguards, but I removed........

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi, welcome...nice bent.

(infernal contraptions that they are...^_^)

Good to see you've found a way to ride that suits you and yes, you'll amaze yourself at how quickly your muscles condition themselves.

J

henshaw11

Yes....I am learning. Seems nowhere near as efficient as an upright bike. I seem to be doing alot or work & not getting very far. I'm hoping its just my muscles that need to develop........:sweat:. Also, the other strange thing I notice is heart-rate. With the upright, I can get up to 160BPM. On this, 130BPM is tops. I'm wondering if laying down is more efficient for the heart?

The bike came with rack & mudguards, but I removed........

Ah - I must admit it does look tidier without, but I normally need to carry a lock and a few rear lights, so I've never been bothered to remove 'em.
If you work hard, you'll probably find it aches about halfway up your glutes, and at the lower end of the <quick google> vastus medialis (kinda inner thigh above knee). I've been riding mine for 3 yrs or so now but if I haven't been on it for a while it feels a bit like doing leg presses :/
Re heart rate - I think there may be a few elements to this - lying down might be one part but also that you're using less developed muscles, being in a more open hip-angle position, so (in my case at any rate) they fatique before I can get my HR up enough.That said, I recently managed to get mine up from the usual 130-140ish to what would normally be about 160-165 on an upright, and actually felt like I was doing some CV work. I haven't yet managed a repeat to work out what the difference was.

Top Bottom