New guy ~ advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevin1708

Hi

Newguy here, Kevin near York / Leeds.

Cycling to try to regain some level of fitness and for general enjoyment. I have 2 bikes both Specialized (Rockhopper) and a Hybrid Crostrail. I started by riding about 8 miles a night 3 weeks ago and found that although my legs hurt mid ride I was fine and felt great at the end of the run. In fairness there aren’t that many hills in the Vale of York so roads are reasonably flat with some rail lines to cross which gives you a sharp incline. There are some gradual climes but if you were in a car you wouldn't know they are there. I am unsung the Crostrail and have managed to get up to about 17 miles a day which I am very happy with. However, during the first mile or so of each ride my leg/thigh muscle (vastus mediales ?) hurt like hell. . . .

I am trying to ride 5 times a week Monday to Friday and rest over the weekend. I would love to progress to a road bike and be able to do say 40 miles a night !

Kevin

oliglynn

Über Member
Welcome and go for it! I rode my mtb on road for years before getting a hybrid & eventually a drop bar roadie. Just enjoy the distances you do, and as you get fitter you'll go further & further. I used to regularly do 30+ miles on my mtb. Yes, you do get a step change when you change to a road bike, but for the moment don't sweat it, just get out and ride. If you've built up a good fitness base by the time you've got a roadie you'll appreciate it all the more :biggrin:

colly

Re member eR
Hi Kevin
:welcome:

If you want some hills and it's not too far, head out to the west of Wetherby. Not massive but they will give you something to contemplate. :smile:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi Kevin

Just wanted to ask about the height of your saddle. It should be high enough, that your leg is slightly bent at the bottom of the downstroke. If you can comfortably reach the floor with your foot (other than using tip toes), when sat on the saddle and stopped - it is too low. I had problems with thigh pain when I fist started and expereince has since shown me that a great proportion of new riders have the saddle too low. Apologies if it's already at the right height though and good luck with the cycling.

SD

deaksie

hi Kevin, you could try doing a few stretches before you get on the bike, just to warm up? less of a shock to the system
good luck, i'm sure you'll do fine

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
:hello: Kevin and welcome to CC.
When I first started riding the first 15mins or the first ten mile where always the worst. Sometimes feeling I wanted to turn back, but now I realise that this was because I didn't do as deaksie said...[ a few stretches before you get on the bike] its until your muscles have warmed up, you'll probably notice it more as the weather gets cooler. And as Sittingduck says, most new riders just don't have their seat at the right hieght! do all the checks to make sure your bike is set up properly lots of threads on here about positioning. and check out youtube if your a visual learner.

enjoy

OP
OP
K

Kevin1708

Some good advice . . . thanks. I am looking at gettinga road bike and WOW what a science! I think I am going to plumb for thePinarello FP2 as I am told that for a road bike of this specification £2,000 isa good price . . .

Top Bottom