New guy looking for top advice for LEJOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd drop in and say hello. Isn't the internet wonderful. A place full of like minded people to chat to.

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've not cycled for a number of years due to setting up my own business, buying and doing up a house and just generally not having the time.

Things have changed and now have the luxury of having most mornings free now.

The last bike I had was a Trek road bike and I gave it to a mate who since has wrecked the thing.

I'm now in a position to take up cycling again and am looking to challenge myself with the LEJOG with a mate doing it with me and another supporting us in a van.

Couple of questions I would be looking for the answer to is:-

Should I buy a tourer or road bike?
What kind of training should I do and how long in advance should I?
When is the best time of the year to do it?
Has anyone else done it and how was your experience?

Thank you in advance for any input and I promise my future posts won't be as long :wacko:

Cheers
Greedo

shimano

there'll probably be someone along in a minute who has done it but you could have a look here:

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~ianclare/links.htm

don't forget that LEJOG is uphill whilst JOGLE is downhill:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
As you will have somebody supporting you in a van, you cancel out the advantages offered by a tourer i.e. it can carry quite a load in its panniers etc. So I would suggest that the choice of bike is down to what you intend to do after your LEJOG i.e. do you want to be zipping around quickly all lycra'd up on a road bike or do you want a fast general purpose all round bike?

Comfort is the other thing. A steel framed tourer will probably take a lot less getting used to and be easier on your body than an as stiff as possible racing bike. You just have to decide on your needs.

wlc1

I wonder - how long does that ride take ?

My mother in laws retires this year and is planning her attempt.

Arch

Married to Night Train
wlc1 said:
I wonder - how long does that ride take ?

My mother in laws retires this year and is planning her attempt.

Anything from 41 hours, 4 minutes and 22 seconds, if you're Andy Wilkinson on a Windcheetah, up to, well, as long as you fancy. I think most people do it in 2 to 3 weeks-ish

Top Bottom