New hybrid/commuter bike - Ribble CGR, Boardman 8.9, Pinnacle Cobalt or what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesbob

Hi all

New here, looking for some advice - have been looking through the threads and found lots of good tips but nothing that quite matches my situation, and not being an expert cyclist, it's pretty hard to decode some of the reviews and marketing spiel.

I've been cycling on an old Carrera for years and need an upgrade. I cycle to and from work a couple of times a week, 8 miles each way, with occasional 20-30 mile trips at the weeked. Mainly on road, but it's useful to have something that can cope with the odd bit of gravel/track for trips out of town. Lightweight enough that I can get it on the car roof without a struggle (although the Carrera is 13.5kg so most things will improve on that). Flat handlebars preferred, and need to be able to fit panniers. Budget up to £1000 give or take.

I've been looking at the Ribble CGR on a cycling friend's recommendation, and it looks great, although I'm slightly put off by the need to assemble it, and there's a 3-4 month wait. And is it more at the 'gravel' end of the hybrid spectrum? Would I be better with something more road-oriented? I've also looked at the Boardman 8.9 or Pinnacle options. Local shop offers Trek, they seem quite expensive for what you get there, but if I buy local I know I'll get decent service if something goes wrong.

Any views welcome.

Jim

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe a bit more Road but the Whyte R7 range always worth a look, can certainly handle a decent path
https://whyte.bike/collections/commuter

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
The Boardman looks a lot like a near perfect commuter, almost no maintenance, rack and mudguard mounts do getting those including fitting will be less than your budget.

Good morning

I see that you are not getting too many answers.:sad:

For me this is a difficult post to answer as you have a fair amount of riding experience so it is hard to understand what you want to know.:smile:

Once you spend over around £400 all bikes are good, there are some good ones for less as well, so it becomes what is best for your specific needs.

The Boardman is an 8 speed belt driven hub drive and the Ribble a 1x11 derailleur, these are quite different bikes.

So with the Ribble you may feel the need to go for the £100 wheel upgrade to the "AllRoad" for you gravel parts, especially if they include luggage, the idea of an 8 speed and belt drove may be a worry to you as it is still fairly unusual and I wouldn't assume than a local shop will definitively offer good service.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

TwoStews

Hi

I wouldn't fear the Nexus 8; it's a great bit of kit, virtually maintenance free and bombproof. I've run one on my commuter for thousands of miles trouble free. The only concern with a internally geared hub is whether it gives you the range of gears you need. For most riders in most situations they are more than adequate.

Have a look at Canyon. They have a Boardman alternative in the Commuter, but from what you've said, I'd strongly recommend the Roadlite. It's light, quick, huge fun to ride, will take a rack and 'guards and has clearance for wider tyres if you want them for a bit of gravel action. Below budget you have the SRAM 1X11 or for £1200 a 22 speed 105. Surprisingly they also have most sizes in stock!

Good luck in your search.

OP
OP
J

jamesbob

Thanks for all the input and useful ideas. Although I ride a fair bit I've never actually chosen and bought my own bike, the one I'm on now was given to me years ago and before that I bought a bike secondhand off a mate. So this is the first time I've spent real money on it :-) and am pretty ignorant about build and components. It's also pretty hard to find anywhere local with bikes I'm looking at in stock for a test ride. So I'm looking for ideas and any guidance on pros and cons.

I'll definitely check out the Canyon and the Whyte and all other comments welcome.

Jim

Both the Boardman and Ribble bikes look great options. The maintenance free aspect of the Boardman and its ability to cope with bad weather makes its more appealing to me. £1000 is a good chunk of money to spend at a direct seller or factory to retailer direct seller but be wary of local bike shops who can't offer the same value. Similar spec bikes will probably be £1200-£1500 there. I'm hesitant to recommend them as their customer service can be terrible but Planet X do some great bikes at great prices so you can get a bargain but it could also go horribly wrong. They are pretty much a box shifter, high turnover but deaf to issues and complaints. I'd probably still take the gamble if its a very good spec at a decent price.

Rubber legs

Hi, I’ve been riding the Boardman Hyb 8.9 for about 14 months months now. First things first, it is an absolute flyer! My top speed so far on the flat has reached 36.4 mph. When accelerating from traffic lights it’s so light my front wheel comes off the ground. I’m only now about to strip down the crank and hubs to clean and grease them due to winter riding on dirt paths but otherwise after 2200 miles this bike has done me no wrong. I fitted a rack and saddle bags for rainy days and when fully loaded I can feel the bike straining to break free from under me. In 14 months the only thing I’ve needed to replace were the rear brake pads and a couple of inner tubes. The gearing is a bit excessive in my opinion but I only have a few hills on my 11.5 mile each way commute - as a friend said “if it wasn’t for gravity that low gear would let you climb a wall”. All said it is a phenomenal bike, super lightweight, and for the price point pretty unbeatable.

Top Bottom