new Jockeys wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

I need to replace my 10-tooth jockeys and found the following on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Tooth-Bicycle-Jockey-Wheels-Pair-Silver_W0QQitemZ270467659270QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item3ef920f606

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Tooth-Bicycle-Jockey-Wheels-Pair_W0QQitemZ270368557532QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item3ef338c9dc

Any good?

Are sealed bearings any better than the cheapo plastics?

Does anyone recognise the seller – 4 negative feedbacks in over 900 positives (mostly for not sending and not accepting responsibility for non-delivery – worrying)?

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've bought from that seller with no probs.

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

A further thought - can I use an 11 tooth jockey wheel to replace 10 tooth derraileur? Theory is this would cause less wear being an odd number and offer a straighter chain line; could be all bumph, but are 10 and 11 tooth wheels interchangeable?

Cranks

They look very cheap, if not doing loads of miles then ok, if you want trouble free and long lasting look at others.

Have you looked at the kcnc jockey wheels?

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Thanks Cranks. They look very tempting with their pretty colours and promises of ultra performance, but of course they all turn black in use and I have heard negative stuff around ceramics cracking under load.

I now have a nice pair of cheap tinny alloys and I'll burn these off before looking for anything better and let you know how long I get out of them.

My commute is 6 miles a day all round in winter and anything up to 30 miles in summer as I add bits on in fair weather so I expect a while before they give up. I'll let you know.

Of course if you're wondering what to get me for Xmas ...:blush:

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Mmmm ... I have to say I am sorely tempted to flip the ones I have on eBay and go and buy one of the ones from the link above - very nice.

But with ones and what for?

Very glittery ...

AlanW

Guru
Just a note, but I bought a pair of the same sort of thing made by KCNC for my road bike. They are quite noisy when compared to the plastic OE ones.

Which when you think about it, you have a steel chain rattling over a couple of alloy wheels, its bound to make more noise.

I even tried several different types of chain lube, but during decent rides, 60+ miles they went noisy again, so they had to go. :smile:

However, fitted them to my MTB and no problems, then again with a decent layer of crap around them I would not expect to hear them. :sad:

Top Bottom