new member help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_D

Hi,

I have returned to cycling after many years out and to get me started I have bought a Trek 370 road series.
The guy I bought it from is 5'5" and I am 6'3", so I need to adjust the seat, but after several attempts it won't move.
I took it to my local cycle shop for a service and they couldn't move it, they advised exterme heat to the frame destroying the paint and possiblly the frame.
There must be some tricks of the trade out there to sort this out.
All advice most welcome.

Cheers

Andy

walker

Hello Andy.

Firstly a bike that would fit someone 5ft 5 is going to be too small for someone that's 6ft 3.

If the seat post is stuck, it's highly likely it's not going to move unless you got the patience to keeps trying to wiggle it out. Maybe try putting some wet lube on it and hope it fall's down the tube to loosen it a little

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Do you know what the seat post is made from? If it's carbon seized in an ali seat tube then it may be curtains and hack sawing it out carefully may be the only option.
I must agere with Walker though that the difference in heights would make it almost impossible for you to comfortably ride that bike unless you've got very short legs and arms!

simonali

Guru
A) I echo the above and think the bike's too small.

;) Did you not think about trying the bike (and therefore adjusting the seat) before you shelled out for it?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Hi Andy, I'm afraid I too suspect the frame's too small for you unless the previous owner sold it due to its being waaaaaaay too big.

However, if you're happy the frame should be ok for you then this should be a good point for unsticking advice:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

Looking at the spec for your Trek, it should be an alloy seatpost in a steel frame, therefore I'd suspect the seizing is due to corrosion.
If you can get the bottom bracket out, then (as per Sheldon) turn the bike upside-down and try pouring ammonia down the seat-tube. I've also heard caustic soda recommended for this purpose (see point XIII).

If this doesn't work, you're looking at (last resort) point XVI, the hacksaw trick (see points XIV/XV for why the heat trick may not be ideal for your alloy post/steel frame combo.

Good luck!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Unless it is chemical welding (alu/steel or whatever, which it sounds like in this case), Plusgas is a good unsticker of rusty stuff - soak, leave, wiggle, soak again etc.

Not well up on frame sizes, but I've seen 6' plussers on my bike (5' 3") and they do generally look a bit constricted....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As said, get it well soaked with something (ammonia - god that will stink although all the Tom cats will be paying a visit)

If you do get it out, then use copper slip when you adjust (assuming the frame is OK)

What size is it, and is it a traditional 'flat' top tubed bike, or a compact 'slanting' frame ?

OP
OP
Andy_D

Andy_D

cheers for your posts,

the seat post is ali and it is a traditional flat top tube steel framed bike.

The bike looks about the same size as my last one but that was many years ago, so I am hoping he sold the bike because it was to big.

many thanks again, its off to the shops and keeping my fingers crossed.

Andy

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Coca-Cola can also help ease seized/rusted joints.

... imagine what it does to your stomach ....

Top Bottom