new member, new bike, new commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kedab

Veteran
Hi everyone. I was having a quick read while 'working' this afternoon and found this place to be really helpful and most friendly. So yeh, hi!

I am a brand spanking new commuter, I live and work in Cambridge, which has its very own reputation for cyclists of all descriptions but I've only had mine a week and am soon to move in with the fiance, so my commute will ramp up from a 4 mile round trip, to a seemingly quite gargantuan 18 mile round trip - I'm not sure I've though it all through when I think of it like that!

I must say, as I haven't ridden distances or cycled in traffic since my very distant school days, that the pdf on the forums regarding city commuting and the information within has been very informative - it's quite amazing what you forget over time and what you take for granted on the road when in a motor.

So, the time has come to move further out of the city and in with the fiance, which gives me roughly 5 miles to do on a fairly flat & straight road from my new home to the railway station and then roughly 3.5 miles of city cycling to work - and the same in reverse to get home obviously. Any and all hints and tips and words of wisdom are welcome...I will need them!

I gave my bike choice quite a bit of thought (Giant - CitySpeed CS) and am already loving it - though my bum isn't too happy about having no suspension and a fairly solid seat!, I've got a hat, got the lights - I do need to get some proper clothing though!

Look forward to getting more involved over the coming weeks/months/years :hello:

DaveyB1981

Hello and welcome.

Dave

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
thanks lads - i'm off in to town a bit later to get a pair of padded shorts, it seems like they're most definitely an investment worth making.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome to the site,nice part of the world you live in,Me and Mrs Skud have good memories of punting when we visit although the locals did not like the Northern style of taking punting to a new level of ramming :whistle:

18 is a nice distance and you will get used to it,i don't do padded shorts myself but have no problems doing big distances useing a Brookes B17 saddle....some like them,some don't,might be worth a shot.
Enjoy the freedom !

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
:biggrin: i'm hoping to remove some pies with the commute, not put more on!

skud, yep it's a very pretty part of the world and as for punting - the locals don't like the locals who don't like the locals on the river, it's every man for themself out there...I have witnessed a group of lads actually sink a punt one summer's afternoon, it was most amusing :biggrin:

The commute proper begins tomorrow evening, from work to the new home and then back in to work on the monday - no rush hour riding for me - so I'll be sure to get back on here to let you know of the adventure! I'm actually looking forward to it but I'm well aware that the hill which begins the 5 mile road leg on the way home, will have a very unpleasant daily conversation with me for a good few weeks!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Honestly, the hills get easier in a very short space of time, especially the ones you do regularly.

Enjoy your first weekend together
thumbsup.png

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
He,He,when i went i was nearly like Scapa Flow by the time i had finnished !!! Never have a bottle of pop on a punt when i'm on the river :biggrin:

david k

Hi
my advice as a fellow newbie, think high revs low gears. work on leg speed as opposed to leg muscle, thats my thought process, its workin for me

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hello :smile:

Get some padded shorts for the sore derrier, you do not really need suspension unless your offroading and you can get baggy ones if you do not like the full on lycra look.

Top Bottom