New member question about insulated bike cover?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TechVoyager

Good day! I'm a new member asking for advice on whether any cyclists use an outdoor insulated bile cover to protect their bikes from excessive heat.

I live in Florida, and during the summer months, which is all year, my bikes have been stored in the garage. I was unable to use my bike for a while due to the full time care for my elderly mom and recently I had some free time Ifor a ride and upon inspection discovered that the hand grips, which also happen to be the gears have deteriorated from the heat(sticky and unusable). I replaced the gear system and grips. My problem is there is no storage available in the garage anymore, or in the house and I'd like to store them in the screen room.

They will be protected from rain and sun but not the heat.

My question is does anyone know of a bike cover that has insulation to keep the bikes cool in the heat, kind of like the material they use in shopping bags to keep your frozen foods from thawing.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in locating this type of bike cover.

TV

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Never seen one, sorry, and I would expect the damage done by taking the bike out of an insulated bag and condensation attacking it to cost more than replacing the grips every few years. Probably best to fit metal or solid plastic gear shifters instead of twist grips next time, though. I'd stick the bike under a light coloured sheet and call it done.

You can also get cork or rubber or even hard plastic grips which may cope better than soft plastics.

OP
OP
T

TechVoyager

That sounds like a nice problem to have, especially from here in the UK.

Could you use pipe lagging for the handle bar grips?
Thank for the suggestion Sharky! If you're referring to the tube insulation that just may be the solution to the problem as I can cut it specifically to cover the gear grips. I'm not too concerned about the tires, wheels and the frame which is aluminum.
FYI the bike is a TREK 6500. Thanks again for the tip!
Regards,
TV

OP
OP
T

TechVoyager

Never seen one, sorry, and I would expect the damage done by taking the bike out of an insulated bag and condensation attacking it to cost more than replacing the grips every few years. Probably best to fit metal or solid plastic gear shifters instead of twist grips next time, though. I'd stick the bike under a light coloured sheet and call it done.

You can also get cork or rubber or even hard plastic grips which may cope better than soft plastics.

I hear what you're saying and those are great tips which I'll consider. Crazy thing is that when the heat is insufferable, we bring the bikes into the living room and during the cool months we transfer into the garage. Our new design in both rooms doesn't accommodate.
Thanks again for the advice.
Regards,
TV

Top Bottom