Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1gearnoidea

Hi all, names lee been riding roadies for last 14 months(now 45), and just dipped my toes into the SS world..bought a dawes mono and loving it, still on 48,18 (70's).. All tho here in Yorkshire we have plenty of big hills( Holme moss local to me), but so far I'm managing to get up everything albeit some are a grind lol...avg speed is up over my boardman team as well ...contemplating flipping onto fixie, but unsure has my right knee has needed 4 ops due to a motorbike accident and not sure how fixie would help, will put apic on when I figure how

OP
OP
1gearnoidea

1gearnoidea

edindave

Über Member
Hello :smile:

Great looking bike you got there :thumbsup:

Assuming your knee is fully recovered from the ops, then I reckon if you're managing OK running SS and your knee isn't troubled, then fixed shouldn't be too much of an issue, as you must already have the strength in your knee to turn that sort of gear. You won't really know until you try. (Must add at this point I'm not a doctor and have no medical knowledge so please don't sue me if your knee falls to bits ;)).

It took me a while to get used to fixed, but I'm a convert. Learning to relax my legs when I'd normally be freewheeling was probably the main learning point for me. I've only had a couple of gentle reminder kicks from the pedals when I've tensed up and stopped pedalling, but nothing worse than that. The downhills are the hardest part for me and I'm running 48x16 - I'd keep both brakes fitted!

Top Bottom