new mountain bike time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raging Squirrel

I've decided its time to replace my GT Aggressor 2 with something new. I was having a look through all the sale stuff when I came across the 2015 Cube AIM SL 29er. I really liked the look of it and the spec was really good.

I've tried EVERYWHERE to get one in Green 'n' Blue but nowhere has any, and I've been told stock isn't due til November and January (both by leading bike stores/sites)

I'm thinking of just getting the black, grey 'n' blue one even though I prefer the green as I need one by 31st October.

However.....I've just seen a 2014 Cube Analog 29er for around the same price....but I'm not sure which is the better bike.

I'm also open to any suggestions should anyone have any.

Drago

Legendary Member
Go ride a few. Just buying one you like the look of in the brochure is dicey.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The equipment levels and frame differ significantly . The Analog is 9 speed, with "Ready For race" geometry frame, and a Rockshox TK fork. Drivetrain and crankset are chiefly Acera .

The Aim has a Suntour fork, which isn't as well thought of as the Rockshox, albeit both are pretty basic. The frame on the aim is "Agile Ride Geometry" more trekking style than the RFR on the Analog. The 8 speed Altus drivetrain is basic stuff as well.

Wheelset is a model higher on the Analog, with decent rims for a bike at that price, and the brakes are a model higher too. The wider bar on the Analog will make it a bit more user friendly on tighter stuff.

All in all I'd say the Aim is very much a base model, and in terms of components is very much a "starter bike". The Analog is better equipped, with sportier geometry, and in my opinion, is the better of the two. If they are the same price more or less, it's a no-brainer in my opinion, although like @Drago says, sitting on them or even getting a test ride would tell you pretty much most of what you want to know.

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

the 2014 Analog is £30 more than the 2015 AIM, but was retailing at £599, whereas the AIM is retailing at £449 atm.

I don't need anything too serious, just leisure offroading, canal side rides, maybe a few blasts through the local woods. I thought the Analog would be better, I was told that the AIM has better forks as they are air type, but not sure if this is true? They're also remote lockout, and I definitely need a L/O fork.

In all honesty, I didn't want to spend more than £350....I saw a 2014 AIM SL 26 I was very interested in, and a few GIANTS (ATX and REVEL 2) but was talked into the advantages of a 29er and saw that the CUBE's offer a better component spec for the extra money

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

They had a green and blue one in surosa (oldham) last time I rode past. Very nice.

Just looked on their website and they only have the black n grey n blue in the AIM SL.....might give them a ring tomorrow and see.

and if I had the money id be getting the Acid in blue and red flash....awesome looking bike

Top Bottom