New one to me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I just let my dog out tonight when I heard her bark at something that troubled her. On closer inspection, I noticed it was a hedgehog but not the common brown one, this one was white. I have never seen a white hedgehog before and didn't even know they existed. Is it a rare breed or are they more common in nature?

gbb

Legendary Member
Albino perhaps, very rare I suspect.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Not always albino. There is a natural mutation that causes hedgehogs to be pale. We took this picture last year on the island of Alderney where, thanks to the isolation most of the population are fair. This was down to the original pair (introduced) having the mutation.

image.jpeg

tom73

Guru
They are about but not all that common. Saying that any hedgehog is becoming less common numbers are falling. Just watch out with dog's and hedgehog's if they get too close they often end up covered in flee's. Or often pick them up from one's left over as they pass though your garden. Our's once got a right covering. Next door's dog had a thing for hedgehog's she use to find them all the time just wonder up to them just to sniff often came back covered.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'd like to see a headgehog, not seen one for ages. Not even a road kill one.
Very sad state of affairs.

Top Bottom