New pain behind knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malcermie

Over the last couple of rides, both about forty miles I have developed a pain in the hollow behind my right knee, can't pin it down to any particular muscle it seems to be at the very top of the lower leg, any ideas?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Any puffiness? If you get a puffy swelling it's probably a Baker's cyst, which is an over-use injury. The other knee will soon follow.

If the pain is just there while you're cycling you might have your saddle too high; try sitting on the bike with one pedal at the bottom of its stroke then put your heel on it; at the right saddle height the heel should just be contacting the pedal with the leg hanging loose, not stretched out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've had these for the last three years, there's nothing you can do about them; they will eventually reduce of their own accord but they tend to come back after a heavy ride or walk.

OP
OP
malcermie

malcermie

Thank guys, there is no puffyness, I think I may have raised the saddle too much as over the last couple of weeks I have been slowly raising it and when I tried the heel test found I was stretching a small amount. So I've lowered it an inch and will see what happens.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bakers cysts can also be caused by meniscus or ligament tears - but this is unlikely if you've no history and not had a twisting injury. That said, the meniscus does degenerate with age (well from around 30 onwards)!

Does however seem linked to a change in set up in this case

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Slow down on that saddle adjustment. Only a couple of mm's a time, and over a period of time, not a few weeks to move an inch. That's 99.9% the issue.

Top Bottom