New rear wheel needed advice please!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

strutton1981

Just got back from a 40 miler and started cleaning up my bike and notice the back wheel wasn't right. Further investigation and it looks like ive buckled it. Ive only had it 4 weeks and covered about 450 miles. Would it still be covered under warrenty? if not what wheels should i get. Only got about £150 budget ish

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
what do you mean by buckled ?? a slight flick or really bent ???

most bike wheels will have the spokes go loose after the first few miles as all the riding stresses start moving them about.

most wheels are sortable

It's a common problem - take the wheel back and get it re-trued.

A good LBS will have told you to do this anyway and won't charge.

PpPete

Legendary Member
and when they've done it check the tensions are even (same note when you flick all the spokes on DS and lower note - again all same on NDS)

if tensions are not even it will go out again in few miles

battered

Guru
Yep, +1 take it in to the shop for its service. A bit of wheel truing is par for the course for them, and the fact that you can still ride it says it's not buggered and so they won't say "it's been abused mate".
Stuff like this is very common on machine built wheels if they have insufficint tension.
As other say check spoke tension is the same after truing, if so it will stay good.

Years ago before I knew how to sort bikes I bought a new rear wheel and the spokes worked loose for a pastime. I had to tighten the spokes every trip. Eventually I got tired of trying to keep up with it myself and gave it to a shop for truing. That was over 10 years ago. It's still good now!

Top Bottom