New Rear Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gummo

I've just fitted a new rear wheel - all went surprisingly well for a novice like me. I'm just curious as to why the wheel makes such a sound when the old one made none. MP3 in the attached zip file.

Attachments

• Wheel.zip
    204.5 KB · Views: 5

Chris S

Legendary Member
It just sounds like the freewheel, it's perfectly normal. Perhaps the old one had weak pawl springs or the pawls were coated with gunge?

OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

Attachments

• Hub.jpeg
    Hub.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 3

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Provided the wheel spins smoothly you have no problem. I always liked the loud click from Campag freehubs, it is a good sign of a healthy pawl and spring with the added benefit of attracting the attention of dawdling pedestrians who are walking in front of you.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've not listened to the MP3, but the Superstar Components wheels I've got have much noisier freehubs than my other wheels (other than the Campag Zondas).

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’s a new safety device designed to make sure you can be heard if drafting behind someone and not pedalling. As long as wheel spins freely, it’s all good.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a superstar, quite noisy. I've got the V6 hub on my MTB and it's like an angry bee, not quite as loud as Hope though. (The V6 has twice the pawls of the other hubs). Advantage for MTB's with noisy freehubs is that walkers can hear you coming !

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's a superstar, quite noisy. I've got the V6 hub on my MTB and it's like an angry bee, not quite as loud as Hope though. (The V6 has twice the pawls of the other hubs). Advantage for MTB's with noisy freehubs is that walkers can hear you coming !

yes that freehub is noisy , looks like i have same wheels , also known as the wheelsucker alarm when you hear the noise behind you

OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

Thanks for the reassurance. My real concern was that there was something major wrong with the wheel. I appreciate the extra warning that the noise will bring to pedestrians - especially these days when so many people are so plugged into headphones.

Top Bottom