New roadie looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JiMBR

Having just bought my first road bike, I'm looking for advice on possible routes to use for training/improving fitness.

I've been out on runs on my other bike with other people leading, so having to find my way hasn't been an issue. The primary reason for buying the road bike is wanting to get out on longer runs, on my own if need be (though I am looking into joining a club). Not being experienced in navigating routes on my own, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would especially appreciate advice from the CC Ecosse'rs on specific road routes of 50 miles or more. ;)

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
JiMBR said:
Having just bought my first road bike, I'm looking for advice on possible routes to use for training/improving fitness.

I've been out on runs on my other bike with other people leading, so having to find my way hasn't been an issue. The primary reason for buying the road bike is wanting to get out on longer runs, on my own if need be (though I am looking into joining a club). Not being experienced in navigating routes on my own, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would especially appreciate advice from the CC Ecosse'rs on specific road routes of 50 miles or more. :biggrin:

Can do if you want to come further east ....:biggrin:
Don't know the area around weegieland very well I am afraid :biggrin:

Have a look at www.BikeMap.net and look at the available routes, there are quite a few around CC Ecosse country (and you may recognise some of the routes and people ;)) Zoom to the right area and hover the cursor over a blue bike symbol, and the route will appear... altitude profiles and more details when you click on any route.
T

Magnatom can tell you the best route out of Glasgow, I've only done it from the east but I think route like up the Tak Ma Doon Road (Kilsyth) and down the Crow Road would be about 50miles circuit from Glasgow; it'd certainly build you fitness. Its pretty easy to navigate once you're out of the city even I can manage it ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome!
Learn to read a map and to Navigate, it's a great skill to have and it takes little effort to learn the topography of your locality.
To my mind, planning the route, pouring over an OS map is half the fun!

OP
OP
JiMBR

JiMBR

Fab Foodie said:
Welcome!
Learn to read a map and to Navigate, it's a great skill to have and it takes little effort to learn the topography of your locality.
To my mind, planning the route, pouring over an OS map is half the fun!

Thanks FF.

I used to be able to read a map in my younger days in the Army Cadets but I'm way out of practice. ;)

You're right though...going to get myself a few maps and get exploring! :biggrin:

If you want some hills look at some of my old bikely routes from when I was in Anniesland. I particularly enjoyed the 50 mile 1 hill route over Tak Ma Doon. Lovely ride along Loch Carron.

Just watch out for the Ford! :wahhey::biggrin:

magnatom said:
If you want some hills look at some of my old bikely routes from when I was in Anniesland. I particularly enjoyed the 50 mile 1 hill route over Tak Ma Doon. Lovely ride along Loch Carron.

Just watch out for the Ford! :biggrin::biggrin:
Aye Mondeo man can be terrible; as is this joke :wahhey:

sayek1

Not sure where you are in Glasgow but if you are out to the west (south or north-west) then there are lots of options heading to the coast or on the roads in North Ayrshire.

Plenty of good Sustrans routes, or if you want to avoid people/walkers there are loads of back roads etc. Also some good climbs in and around the Muirshiel area - Largs, Greenock, Gourock etc.

Other options are to hop on one of the many ferries across the Clyde and do some even more quieter/hillier countryside.

I haven't done all of these yet (being relatively new myself), but there are loads of options.

Likewise, north out of Glasgow opens up the Campsies, Trossachs etc

Try the Trossachs Ton Sportive - a good couple of climbs here (its in two weeks). Not sure if they might be to much for me, but I'm giving them a go.

Good luck.

Top Bottom