New to cycle chat & cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mental Idiot

Good evening.

After years of being lazy & doing nothing but drinking and stuffing my face it was time for me to sort my life out. I've bought a used bike off eBay to start with and I want to see how I get on with it. I'm completely clueless when it comes to bikes but I'm willing to learn and I thought I'd join in with the forum.

I got an old ridgeback storm, no suspension 36h rims I assumed it would be better holding my heavyset body. Not had a ride yet due to rain but I certainly will, just hope the wheels don't fall off :laugh:

P.S I want to ask this (but shouldn't have to) but how tolerant is this forum? I ask because I was earlier banned from another forum & got called a troll by the administrator , I held a different opinion to other people and got abused for it & banned. I can't cope with things like that. Although I can understand if I said anything illegal or personally offensive to which I didn't.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Firstly, congratulations. Every journey starts with a first step, and you've made yours.

Secondly, you are not that heavy. You haven't mentioned your weight, but much the same that there is always someone faster than you, there is always someone heavier on a bike. Unless you exceed 40 st, you are not the heaviest person who has come here.

Thirdly, good choice of bike. Ridgeback is a respected manufacturer, and no suspension means that you aren't going to waste your energy bouncing up and down the road. Unfortunately there is a good chance that you will be yearning for a new bike before too long, but enjoy that one for the moment.

So, what next? Just get out and enjoy yourself. Don't set boundaries, but do set reasonable targets. There is no reason why you shouldn't become a 70kg / 11st cyclist doing 150 mile rides in a day over some of the UK's hilliest terrain. Seriously, that is well within your capabilities, if you wish to pursue that path, but obviously not for a few years yet. 20 miles may seem like your limit at the moment, and more than 10 may seem like a struggle, but you will quickly get fitter and better.

Hopefully you will find lots of good advice on here. Generally we are a friendly and helpful bunch. Things can get a bit heated in the Politics sections, but where don't they? But on cycling, there are obviously a lot of people with a lot more experience that will be useful to listen to, but you will feel at home here very soon.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Welcome! Ridgebacks are usually fine bikes. Try an ABC check every ride and an M check occasionally and ask questions if stuff breaks, but otherwise, start slowly building up your rides!

As for tolerance: I suggest reading the rules and guidelines, especially the one with the bit about being reasonable even when disagreeing. Other than the usual stuff about not calling people names and rapid bickering, there are a few annoying omissions (no rules discouraging mob attacks and no feedback on moderation decisions) and extras, ironically including discussing moderation, so this will be my only post on that aspect.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just checked out Ridgeback Storm. Nice looking bike.

Take it easy to begin with while you get used to the bike. Late summer and autumn is (for me at least) quite the nicest time for riding. Just watch out for fallen leaves.

Re tolerance, chill for a while before replying to a post you disagree with. Consider using the ignore thread and ignore forum buttons as they magically make the forum a more agreeable place. As @mjr says - read the forum rules.

OP
OP
Mental Idiot

Mental Idiot

Firstly, congratulations. Every journey starts with a first step, and you've made yours.

Secondly, you are not that heavy. You haven't mentioned your weight, but much the same that there is always someone faster than you, there is always someone heavier on a bike. Unless you exceed 40 st, you are not the heaviest person who has come here.

Thirdly, good choice of bike. Ridgeback is a respected manufacturer, and no suspension means that you aren't going to waste your energy bouncing up and down the road. Unfortunately there is a good chance that you will be yearning for a new bike before too long, but enjoy that one for the moment.

So, what next? Just get out and enjoy yourself. Don't set boundaries, but do set reasonable targets. There is no reason why you shouldn't become a 70kg / 11st cyclist doing 150 mile rides in a day over some of the UK's hilliest terrain. Seriously, that is well within your capabilities, if you wish to pursue that path, but obviously not for a few years yet. 20 miles may seem like your limit at the moment, and more than 10 may seem like a struggle, but you will quickly get fitter and better.

Hopefully you will find lots of good advice on here. Generally we are a friendly and helpful bunch. Things can get a bit heated in the Politics sections, but where don't they? But on cycling, there are obviously a lot of people with a lot more experience that will be useful to listen to, but you will feel at home here very soon.

Yes the dreaded weight.. I wonder why I left my weight out ha! that's what brought me to purchase a bike, especially a second hand one as I didn't want to risk busting a new one. Firstly I had to find a bike that caters for my height. Luckily the bike I bidded for on eBay was owned by a guy a similar height to me, regarding my weight I'm currently 23st or 320lbs ish. I did see somewhere online about a 39st cyclist and that's what brought me here. Bikes have weight limits and that's the only worry I have so far.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Enjoy! It's nowhere near as complicated as it can be made to seem.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Hello there.:hello:

What sort of rides are you planning to do? Are you going to pootle about on cycle paths like I do enjoying the scenery as I go? Or are you aiming to be one of those racing snake types flying about on skinny wheels?

OP
OP
Mental Idiot

Mental Idiot

Hello there.:hello:

What sort of rides are you planning to do? Are you going to pootle about on cycle paths like I do enjoying the scenery as I go? Or are you aiming to be one of those racing snake types flying about on skinny wheels?

Hiya!
Right now I'm planning on doing some smooth riding & enjoy life. You won't find me doing any back flips or racing anytime soon. My aim is to go slow and steady for a while at least until I loose weight.. only then will I even think about speed or doing any jumps etc. Get fit and loose the lbs is my goal for now.

Chris S

Legendary Member
:welcome:
Controversial posts tend to get deleted here, it's rare for somebody to be banned. I suspect they just rejoin under another name anyway.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hiya!
Right now I'm planning on doing some smooth riding & enjoy life. You won't find me doing any back flips or racing anytime soon. My aim is to go slow and steady for a while at least until I loose weight.. only then will I even think about speed or doing any jumps etc. Get fit and loose the lbs is my goal for now.
Congrats and welcome.
Cycling is good for body and soul and CC is already providing some great advice. Take it easy at first and you’ll improve quite rapidly.

On the weight thing, cycling won’t shift a lot of weight alone BUT it is a great starting point to changing eating habits and moving towards a healthier lifestyle and better habits. You’ll need to change what you shove in yer cake-hole notably to really shift the timber.
Incorporating regular cycling into your life will only bring you benefits. It’s about smiles not miles.
Welcome to the club!

mikeIow

Guru
Welcome aboard!
My main advice is to try to get out for a few short rides as often as you can whilst the weather holds :okay:

If you aren’t too sure where to go, https://cycle.travel/map is a great web site to pop a post code in and ask for suggestions for a ride of X miles long.
Start small: take A few tools so you can raise the saddle, etc, and see how you get on!

Top Bottom