New to riding a tricycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Actually there are times when even slow speed will have the inside wheel lift, usually sharp turns like junctions or U turns and a steep descent with a sharp turn at the bottom is a special kind of torture as on a racing trike both brakes are on the front wheel and you touch the brakes whilst cornering at your own peril as I found out early on whilst riding my first trike.

grldtnr

Riding trikes or upwrong ones at the least is a learning experience, you need to forget everything you know about 2 wheels and start all over.
Recumbents offer a better experience, but you do need good access to store one.
I am biased, I prefer 'tadpole' designs over & 'delta' ones, for the sole reason I haven't ridden one !
I am not speaking from experience here , but if you want a tilting trike, the 'delta' design might be best, but I think to benefit from a tilting design , you need to have speed to maintain equilibrium, otherwise your getting back to the balancing thing again.
Totally understand unrelated , I row for pleasure, the slim narrow hulls seen in competitive rowing also need to be balanced, it's the same principal , forward motion makes them stable.
I think for you, a Delta trike might be best, the Hase and Kettwiesel companies are popular for the continent, , and are perhaps easier to get a ride of one over here.
Kevin Dunsheath of D.tek comes to mind, or Mr.Magoo on this parish, or you might try London Recumbents in Dulwich, South London, there are others, but THE place to try is the Netherlands, many companies over there , plus a wonderful cycle environment.

Thanks gridtnr: Your advice and experience appreciated. I've seen you tube videos of the top range trikes from the Netherlands, Van Raam for example but they're top dollar and I'm on a budget but if I win on the premium bonds.....................

What I was suggesting is that you have a chance to try one out, if anywhere to give it go is the Netherlands, there is a company down in Devon, I think close to Exeter, who sell and deals recumbents to the disabled, unfortunately I don't have his name or number, but ultimately it depends on where you live.

I do have a spare recumbent Tadpole trike, it isn't for sale as yet, it needs refurbing, it is a Dutch 'Optima Rider' quite a vintage, but it di low down much like my current one

Trikes can be "fun" to ride ....

If you lean right on a bike then the bike will try to turn right.
If you lean right on a trike then the trike will try to turn left.
Also your hands make a triangle with your shoulders.
So if you're not careful when you move your shoulders right then your hands rotate the bars slightly left, steering you even faster into the ditch.
Bent trike do suffer from this effect, but the lower CoG makes it less noticeable.
But I use this effect to steer my bent trike hand off, it turns the opposite way I lean.

So on a trike be way is to steer first then lean just enough to keep your balance.

Luck .......... ^_^

OP
OP
Antuny

Antuny

Regular
Trikes can be "fun" to ride ....

If you lean right on a bike then the bike will try to turn right.
If you lean right on a trike then the trike will try to turn left.
Also your hands make a triangle with your shoulders.
So if you're not careful when you move your shoulders right then your hands rotate the bars slightly left, steering you even faster into the ditch.
Bent trike do suffer from this effect, but the lower CoG makes it less noticeable.
But I use this effect to steer my bent trike hand off, it turns the opposite way I lean.

So on a trike be way is to steer first then lean just enough to keep your balance.

Luck .......... ^_^

Great advice - thank you

OP
OP
Antuny

Antuny

Regular
What I was suggesting is that you have a chance to try one out, if anywhere to give it go is the Netherlands, there is a company down in Devon, I think close to Exeter, who sell and deals recumbents to the disabled, unfortunately I don't have his name or number, but ultimately it depends on where you live.

I do have a spare recumbent Tadpole trike, it isn't for sale as yet, it needs refurbing, it is a Dutch 'Optima Rider' quite a vintage, but it di low down much like my current one

Thank you. Many years a go I did have an opportunity to try out a tadpole recumbent at Dulwich park (whilst my wife swanned off on a Pederson!). The riding portion was comfortable but I really didn't like being low down - just couldn't get my head around it.

OP
OP
Antuny

Antuny

Regular
Actually there are times when even slow speed will have the inside wheel lift, usually sharp turns like junctions or U turns and a steep descent with a sharp turn at the bottom is a special kind of torture as on a racing trike both brakes are on the front wheel and you touch the brakes whilst cornering at your own peril as I found out early on whilst riding my first trike.

I've seen a video of tricycle racing and it looks very exciting, all that shifting of body weight etc but much too dangerous for me at my age. I don't want to lift any wheels, I want them firmly on the ground! ^_^

grldtnr

Thank you. Many years a go I did have an opportunity to try out a tadpole recumbent at Dulwich park (whilst my wife swanned off on a Pederson!). The riding portion was comfortable but I really didn't like being low down - just couldn't get my head around it.

There is a ICE adventure trike for sale on the Cycling UK forum, the CTC one , or that other forum, a very good trike , it's a recumbent Tadpole, going for £995,which is a very fair price.
I understand your concerns on being low down, but it isn't a problem, in fact You are far more likely to be seen on a recumbent than any other bike, solely on the WTF was that basis.
Other recumbent riders will confirm this, I am sure Tigerbitten will, the only issue is your ability to mount & dismount, but I get the feeling that's not your main concern.
Unlikely as it seems many riders with disabilities find recumbents easy to ride.
You can contact ICE trikes about a lifting kit to bring up the height of the seat, and many other adaptions, but the ICE adventure is already high up,( in relative terms )
The only other resource, is E-bay , sometimes Delta's trikes from Hase & Kettwiesel come up at silly cheap prices, but in the main, Tadpoles are more plentiful.
Perhaps try the BHPC site could help, a recumbent racing club for HPV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom