New to road bikes. Help me choose best value.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tomm

Hi,

Im very new to cycling and have only used a Road bike once when I cycled 100 miles for Action Medical Research. Im doing variouse cyles to raise money for charity, im not into anything compepative. Im cycling 220 miles in july for Barnardos and also cycling from Cleethorpes to the west coast of Ireland for the RNLI at some point in the summer.

Because of all these events I need a good road bike to see me through. But im a stundent a very low budget. I wondered if all you experts out there could tell me what you though about these two bikes im looking at.

This one is the first
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/105057727/raleigh-airlite-100-racing-bike-bicycle.html
The guy is offering £175 for the bike as its for charity but I think I may be able to get it lower. Its 4 years old and done roughly 150 miles and it has been in stroage for two of the four years. What do you think? is it worth £175?

This one is more expensive bought for £999 and never used. The guy is going no lower than £600 but I am paying no more than £585.
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/s...triple-road-bike-never-used-cost-999-new.html
Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

goody

Veteran
The cube is a great bike and could be a good buy if it fits 62cm is a BIG frame I thinks it's the largest one in that model according to the Chain Reaction site (sold at 699 when they had them). The Raleigh might be good value if it fits you, you like riding it and you get a years use out of it without spending too much on it. Not so good value if you buy it, don't like riding it and have to spend money getting the cables replaced, bottom bracket serviced spokes tensioned etc etc. Have a look at the Triban 3 at decathlon looks nice and you should get a well set up bike with a warranty for £300.

both those bikes in the links are significantly different in size - one is tiny, the other is huge. Have you given any consideration to which one might fit you best...?

festival

Über Member
Mr Goody hit the nail on the head.
If you can stretch to £500+ why are you considering a cheap 2nd hand bike for £175, even if it fits, it
will need a bit of servicing at least.
I would normally advise you to spend as much as you can to get the right bike but the triban 3 is a cracking bike for the price.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Get a Triban 3. £299 and you can get a frame that is the right size for you. The Triban gets a lot of positive comments. Use the Search function box, top right, and read what people say.

Have a good ride.

OP
OP
T

Tomm

Hi guys. Thanks for all info. Bought a Triban 3 today. Love it thanks so much so all advice!

Top Bottom