New to road cycling & the forum!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jack Lloyd

Regular
Just thought I would introduce myself and get a head start on knowing the community here.

Well first I'm 19, studying Computer Science in University and for all of my teenage years I was a kid who played video games and did nothing but that, but over the last few years (maybe as a result of 2012, success of British riders in tdf, who knows) I have gotten into cycling and going into my second year of university with my house being further away than it was I decided to by a bike, couple of weeks ago there was a sale at Halfords the Carrera tdf bike was down from £600 to ~£250 and so I brought it!! a for commuting, b for a hobby etc!!

Mainly here to get to know people, compare times, routes, etc!!

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi & :welcome: to CC.
The TdF is a nice bike, it's often on sale :smile: It'll definitely do the job for you.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
:welcome:

as well as a substantial D-Lock for the frame -- buy a wire with looped ends
long enough to go through the saddle rails to the D-Lock
and yet another through the front wheel

not overkill - you need to make the thief look for an easier option

my nephew had his new hi-tech saddle stolen at Oxford recently

OP
OP
Jack Lloyd

Jack Lloyd

Regular
:welcome: Tried to persuade my pal to get one of the TDF's but he s**t it. Back to the couch for him.
Enjoy the cycling:thumbsup:
I was tempted last year after tdf ended, but with me starting uni ect, I didn't know my financial situation so passed up on the opportunity, luckily they had a better deal this year, and I couldn't pass! :biggrin::bicycle:

:welcome:

as well as a substantial D-Lock for the frame -- buy a wire with looped ends
long enough to go through the saddle rails to the D-Lock
and yet another through the front wheel

not overkill - you need to make the thief look for an easier option

my nephew had his new hi-tech saddle stolen at Oxford recently

right now, I've got a cable lock, which is able to reach from the seat to the front wheel!!

side note: Thanks for the welcome guys! :cheers:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Seconded on the D-Lock, I learnt about cable locks the hard way. You need both if it's going to be left locked in public.

Aside from that, how are you enjoying it? There's a few weeks of leisure riding before Uni starts up again yet.

OP
OP
Jack Lloyd

Jack Lloyd

Regular

add a D-Lock for frame to railings
cables are only a mild deterrent to a bolt cutter
will do, I'll browse online later

Seconded on the D-Lock, I learnt about cable locks the hard way. You need both if it's going to be left locked in public.

Aside from that, how are you enjoying it? There's a few weeks of leisure riding before Uni starts up again yet.

Yup I know, been riding everyday for the last week apart from one day (need rest and all), managed a 27k, hilly, wet roads, route yesterday in just under hour and half, by far not the best but in the conditions (couldn't see coming down on the descent so took it nice and slow, super slow!) I'm happy!

Went out today and found a nice loop I plan on using the gauge my progress (when at home anyway) :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Jack.

I'm glad you're enjoying the cycling.^_^

You got the bike at about the right price. Halfords are a little bit naughty with their pricing and frequently try to claim bikes are worth more than they really are, so that you think you're getting a bargain when they go "on sale". The TDF is a decent entry level bike - you'll have fun with that.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom