New Triban RC520...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnylane

Update time. I've had the bike since November last year and have done ~2000 miles.

Overall it's been great. My main issues:
- The tyres developed sidewall cracks after 500 miles. I left them on until 1600 miles and didn't get a single puncture despite the terrible roads on my commute. I had some 28mm Gatorskins in my garage so swapped them for those... two hours and four tyre levers later! It was incredibly difficult, almost impossible. I can usually change a tyre in ten minutes or so but the thought of getting a puncture on my commute and having to deal with a tube change is scary. I'm strongly considering changing the wheels.
- The wheels are slightly out of true, likely due to the potholes on my route.
- My rear rotor got warped last week somehow and was hitting the inside of the chainstay on every rotation. It turns out it's very close! I managed to straighten it and had to shift the caliper housing a bit but it seems fine now.
- I've had to tweak the rear deraillieur cable tension a few times - no big deal.
- The seat post clamp mysteriously cracked after 500 miles. I'm pretty sure it was torqued appropriately. Replaced with one from my parts bin.

So in summary, nothing major yet. It weathered the winter very well, a bit of rust on a few bolts but it still looks great. This is my first and only road bike so I don't know much different but, apart from the problematic wheels I don't have much to complain about!

Here's my commute (partly dreadful country roads, the rest is dreadful urban cycle paths): https://www.strava.com/activities/2563883634

rwonder

Hello Triban-ites! I know this thread has gone quiet, but I just discovered it yesterday. I'm interested in the RC520 but I'm far from a Decathlon store. What happens if you have niggling problems with the bike? Do you have the LBS perform the work at your expense? I'm drawn to the value of the Triban but this seems like an 'invisible' cost. If I purchase a bike from my LBS, they'll make adjustments and corrections for the first six months at no cost to me. I'm just trying to decide if I should roll the dice on the RC520. Also, if Plasticniki is out there -- I see from your bike photo you've gone to a Mason x Hunt 4 Season wheelset. Are you pleased with it? Has it altered the dynamics of the bike? I'm interested in the same set of hoops. Many thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
Hello Triban-ites! I know this thread has gone quiet, but I just discovered it yesterday. I'm interested in the RC520 but I'm far from a Decathlon store. What happens if you have niggling problems with the bike? Do you have the LBS perform the work at your expense? I'm drawn to the value of the Triban but this seems like an 'invisible' cost. If I purchase a bike from my LBS, they'll make adjustments and corrections for the first six months at no cost to me. I'm just trying to decide if I should roll the dice on the RC520. Also, if Plasticniki is out there -- I see from your bike photo you've gone to a Mason x Hunt 4 Season wheelset. Are you pleased with it? Has it altered the dynamics of the bike? I'm interested in the same set of hoops. Many thanks!
Yes if you can’t get to Decathlon or diy. Same with buying any bike at a distance

rwonder

Thanks vickster, I assumed that probably was the case. I know that Hunt Wheels will sometimes supply replacement bits after the sale -- like a rotor lockring for example -- but I wasn't sure if mail order bike brands were as helpful with post-sale support.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks vickster, I assumed that probably was the case. I know that Hunt Wheels will sometimes supply replacement bits after the sale -- like a rotor lockring for example -- but I wasn't sure if mail order bike brands were as helpful with post-sale support.
I’m sure you could send it back if there’s an issue. But who needs the hassle if there’s an alternative locally (or you can just pay an LBS to fix any minor niggles or do it yourself)

Returning wheels is much less of an aggro than a whole bike

plasticniki

Hiya.

You really shouldn't have many problems with the bike as it is from Decathers. My front mech was set up all wrong, and a LBS charged me a fiver to fix. I have learned to do most stuff myself which saves on maintenance costs.

As for the Hunts, yep, no problems with them. Hunt's aftercare is excellent and putting a better set of wheels makes it a pretty decent bike. I just did Paris-Brest-Paris on it, a 1200km bike ride in 90 hours and apart from having a problem with the rear brake, everything was solid.

rwonder

I think the bike will suite me fine -- just had a brief moment of doubt concerning the ramifications of buying it online. Good to hear about the Hunts -- I'm looking forward to giving them a spin. And bravo on Paris-Brest-Paris -- that's pretty incredible.

beany_bot

Veteran
Been reading this post with great interest. I have a 500 and love it but thankfully have never had a puncture.
Genuinely just how bad is it to change a puncture with the stock tyres and wheels?

Liquid

Regular
Been reading this post with great interest. I have a 500 and love it but thankfully have never had a puncture.
Genuinely just how bad is it to change a puncture with the stock tyres and wheels?

I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't had a puncture yet but it's only a matter of time...

Top Bottom