New TT bike from scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Okay, I'm in the market for a new bike - a TT bike and you know what, I'm a bit clueless in regards to what would suit me. Firstly, I need to decide which way I'm going to go about it and though I agree with the general sentiment that suggests you're better off buying a whole bike, after looking into it, I feel it could be a touch wasteful considering what I could afford, what I've already got and the fact that I want to be able to spread some of the cost but not the whole lot.

Now, if I buy this...http://srx.uk.ebayrtm.com/clk?RtmClk&u=1H4sIAAAAAAAAACWQy2rDMBBF94H8g6GkO9kj2bKtgChNiiGlLgW77SZQ5AeN8EOuLBPy9x0TGIZzz8As7sN323i5unkheJTvge85eHlRegwo227sIi/OTed9EFyvV7+t1M2vjb90gXZDkC19T47KVmYkuXKO5GY0tflbWlJardylx0Oph3vsSVmSg+5aklmFjkf1QDJjO1K0yk1mdiRgnAKP05Algj/9ONvNujnLiVOR+ANN+ePqJmWH+SxV/2t24UtxOvrvH6/FjsXaLShOO8bZ4fMZhXEjCsoQp8E0yCwBkYQg1lnt+uHt67TijBiH240yEnDrRlIKMQMMVSOTiIlUbDcafZoIAE6ZiDnQMBI0irCqTmJh/8Qtgl9QAQAA&ch=3&g=900e8fd41370a56107f7bd17ffd7eeee&i=-9999&aii=8790051296501349144&lid=742989&m=232828&pi=5197&clkId=8790051296501349146

...and I know that some may be cynical about Chinese carbon but it's just a mere thought, I figure that what I'd need to buy in addition, given I already have a set of deep section wheels is...

- full TT groupset
- handlebars
- extension
- saddle and rail
- stem

So, first question, is there anything I am missing?

pedals
cables
'hydration solution' - if doing longer TTs

I've just done similar for a triathlon bike... See here

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Yep, pedals are sorted and so too is the nutrition/hydration. I'll add cables to the list. Thanks.

I'm going to go 105, so is there anything else I need to know? I understand that some frame/fork combos come with integrated brake systems which I'm going to avoid.

Anyone any experience of these rather stealthy looking plain, Chinese carbon TT frames?

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Velobuild is dedicated to Chinese carbon and is a good place to get advice and reviews; depending on what you want you might be able to join a group buy and save some money...

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
I think you need a special rear brake on those frames.....

Many thanks for pointing that out Helip, delving a little deeper I think you may be right, irrespective of whether the groupset is TT specific, it doesn't seem to make much difference.

The whole point of the build (I even spoke to my LBS about putting it together and a reasonable price too) was to save money and to not have to buy equipment that I didn't need, like for instance a set of wheels with a package deal which would be surplus to requirement. If I now need to buy a groupset but not be able to use the brake calipers then it could get even more expensive. Well done for pointing that out and any other takers on that point???

Top Bottom