New Tyre Help - Although I already know the answer...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_craig

Über Member
Hey guys, I'm just looking for someone to put me out of my misery and confirm what I already know.

At the start of June, I treated myself to a pair of Conti 5000str 32mm tyres and they were a great buy. Some of the fastest tyres around certainly improved my cycling. So imagine my disappointment when on Saturday night, when I was washing the bike and getting ready for Sunday's club ride, I noticed around a 15mm slash right down the middle of the rear tyre. It is right through the outer rubber but the inner carcass is visible. (I tried to fix my old tubeless tyre. After two hours of frantic pumping and effing and jeffing, I fired a tube in the tyre and rode it 'old fashioned')

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-08 at 2.23.30 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-08 at 2.23.30 PM (1).jpeg

So my questions are:

1 - This tyre is goosed, isn't it? There's no way of repairing it safely.

2 - I bought the tyre from Sigma Sports. Is it worth my while emailing their customer service department to be told that you rode them, that's the way the cookie crumbles and I'm onto plums? However, the location of the tear is right in the middle of the contact patch. Could it be a failure of the outer casing as it's came out the mould ie a manufacturing problem and therefore would I be entitled to a replacement? Shy kids don't get any sweets and all that.

I'm just a bit gutted as the tyres were a treat to myself and I've had some great fun on them too. I really like them.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
1. Yes, Goosed
2. That's a cut so fair wear & tear IMHO but you could ask I suppose

Personally I avoid Conti's - over priced and one doesn't get many miles out of them. They do lots of advertising tho'.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No way is that finished, a piece of old tyre casing inserted and good for another few thousand miles.

‘ Sorry mate, wear and tear’ will be the response from the retailer.

Always amuses me the little arrow shaped patterned bits, nowhere near the contact point but I’m sure they fulfil a vital function.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the_craig

the_craig

Über Member
1. Yes, Goosed
2. That's a cut so fair wear & tear IMHO but you could ask I suppose

Personally I avoid Conti's - over priced and one doesn't get many miles out of them. They do lots of advertising tho'.

TBH, I've had a set of GP4000II that have lasted me years as well as a set of Gatorskins which will probably outlast me so I like the brand. Maybe time for a change though...

No way is that finished, a piece of old tyre casing inserted and good for another few thousand miles.

‘ Sorry mate, wear and tear’ will be the response from the retailer.

Can I insert a piece of old casing running tubeless?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Superglue and tyres... :whistle:

My tip is - don't superglue significant tyre cuts!

I used superglue when I discovered a cut in my new front tyre just before taking my bike to Spain. I rode the bike for a few days - no problem. Did the big mountain day, including 50 mph descents round tight bends with no barriers and big drop offs from them - no problem. Next morning, before we set off on the day's ride someone pointed at my front wheel. The tyre cut had ripped open and the inner tube was bulging through the hole! (Ex top pro Robert Millar was at the hotel testing bikes and he lent me a front wheel until I could get hold of a new tyre! :becool:)

Big John

Guru
I'm not recommending you continue to ride on it but if it were me I would (I'm a tight wad). Our old ride leader, who owns the LBS in the town (and who could buy tyres at trade prices), used to ride on a tyre until the inner tube came out to bask in daylight. If the carcass was showing he'd see that as another protective layer and therefore more miles left in the tyre. However, I've got a sheet of Kevlar, courtesy of my lad who's an engineer, which I'd use to put a patch inside the tyre underneath the split. If you've got something similar I'd give it a try.

Top Bottom