New Wheels - Cassette or Freewheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

SimonR

Yeah - I had seen those! I was also wondering about these Bontragers.

What do you reckon? - are the Shimanos a better bet?

I'm putting a little shopping list together tonight for all the other small misc parts that I'm renewing and will nip into one of the bike shops in town to get them then I'll nearly be there.

nuovo_record

if you have downtube levers you will get away with using them and 8 speed, saves buying sti's.
presume you already have some brakes, the centre pulls seem to be too deep drop...but you could pick some up from e**y...tyres and inner tubes.
you may get more for your bucks if you buy from the wed. parkers, wiggle, ribble...there's loads of choice.

i'd say it's worth having a punt on the bontragers too.

these are even cheaper for those on a budget

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-WH-R5...66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

OP
OP
S

SimonR

nuovo_record said:
if you have downtube levers you will get away with using them and 8 speed, saves buying sti's.

presume you already have some brakes, the centre pulls seem to be too deep drop...but you could pick some up from e**y...tyres and inner tubes.
you may get more for your bucks if you buy from the wed. parkers, wiggle, ribble...there's loads of choice.

i'd say it's worth having a punt on the bontragers too.

Well, in the end I went for these wheels - not exactly budget but strong, light and a bit flashy!

I've just also bought from chain reaction most of the other kit required to finish the build so am hopeful that it'll all arrive and fit correctly!

I'm a bit held up by the fact that I managed to slip last night while putting a front wheel into a bike and sliced a large chunk out of one of my fingers but hopefully a spell at the Cambridge Blue Beer Festival tonight will dull the pain! Don't know how I managed it...

nuovo_record

nice one - now cassettes - 8,9 or 10?
if downtube levers you'll be ok with 8 speed, 9 or 10 you'll probably need STi's

got brakes too?

enjoy the beer. haven't been in the cambridge blue for years. we used to have a building on ainsworth place next to the ntl building. been pulled down and not got about 20 houses on it

OP
OP
S

SimonR

nuovo_record said:
nice one - now cassettes - 8,9 or 10?
if downtube levers you'll be ok with 8 speed, 9 or 10 you'll probably need STi's

got brakes too?

enjoy the beer. haven't been in the cambridge blue for years. we used to have a building on ainsworth place next to the ntl building. been pulled down and not got about 20 houses on it

Yeah - I'm going for an 8-speed cassette for use with the existing down-tube levers. Can't see the point of having more cogs living in a place as flat as Cambridge!

I'm going to see if the Weinnman brakes that I've got at the moment are going to fit the new wheels, if not then I'll have to use some others. I think I've got some spares in the garage but either way it'll be fine.

I was looking at these - really nice brakes but unfortunately a little bit on the pricey side!

Cheers for now - I'll post a few pics of my progress when all the parts arrive - hopefully they'll be with me tomorrow.

Top Bottom