New wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nuttall1991

After a meeting with a wall on my ride yesterday due to an amateur mistake I need some new wheels. The Shimano R105 http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...andard-spoke-clincher-wheels-pair/shimwhfr202 are at a really good price so I'm looking at those.

One question. Are they compatible with my bike/cassette? It's a 7 speed cassette and if anyone reading needs an more info about my bike here it is http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_991927_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

Thanks in advance

Laurence

OP
OP
N

nuttall1991

Just seen a similar post on the forum and the answer was spacers and from what I can tell this is the right answer for me too?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
It is impossible to tell from the Halfords spec whether your rear wheel has a cassette (can use with spacer for the R501) or freewheel (you will also have to buy spacer and cassette for that wheel).

You can tell by looking at the surrounding of the axle where it leaves the hub. If it looks like the first one you have a cassette, the second one you have a freewheel.

k7hub-lockring.jpg

fr-1w-freewheel.jpg

If it is not obvious, for a cassette the piece with the splines (a lock ring in one piece) sits on top of rather than inside the smallest sprocket.

Just in case, you might also want to check that the distance between the rear dropouts is 130mm.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Rang them and said it's a free wheel, so that's in the basket now!

If the bike has a freewheel then for those wheels you need a cassette like this as well as a spacer like this. But do check the number of teeth of the largest sprocket at present is not less than the new one, or there is a possibility you might need a longer chain. Also as mentioned above assuming the rear dropout distance is 130mm.

OP
OP
N

nuttall1991

so, this is what I've bought Shimano R501 wheels, SRAM 7 speed cassette and a spacer (the halo one from wiggle). Have rang my LBS and they said everything should fit but the rear derailleur will need some adjustment. Thoughts and comments?
And I've measured distance between the drop outs and it is 130mm, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Thanks again for the help

Laurence

Top Bottom