New wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

Hi,
I've been using my fixie, converted from an 80s racer, for the lasy 8 months or so now & i ride it almost everywhere... racked up a couple of thousand miles so far on it.

I think I need some new wheels, and I'm starting to save up for them. In the mean time my original wheels will get a service, but they are cheap wheels and I want something a bit better.

I want something sturdy, nothing too fancy, more of a workhorse of a wheel than a thoroughbred as I use the bike every day for commuting and I don't want something really lightweight & fragile.

Can anyone suggest a good wheelset for me? nothing too expensive, preferably under £200.

Cheers

Greenbank

Über Member
My personal choice is a System Ex fixed/fixed hub in a Mavic Open Pro rim. My LBS built that for somewhere under £100 (can't remember the exact price).

You can get a matching front wheel for less obviously but any front wheel will do really.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I have the system ex fixed/fixed in a Mavric CXP33(i think) and thats nice. Was built really cheap though, not sure how much it should be though. Worth a look i think.

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

Well, I think I have narrowed it down to either the Navigator Pista wheels (circa £150)...
or a pair of wheels built by "Webbline".
their own "precision" track hubs, built onto either:
Mavic open Pro rims (£132) or
Mavic CXP 33 rims (£138).

At the moment I think I want deeper profile wheels, to the Navigators or the CXP33 seem the best...

I am desperately seeking guidance from anyone who knows anything about anything... I want to place the order on payday, next wednesday...

anyone?

Andy Pandy

The line I got from my LBS is that the deep profile rims (cxps etc.) are not as strong as open pros. I had considered navigators but opted for open pros on miche hubs. But then, I tend to be hard on wheels.

robbarker

Andy Pandy said:
The line I got from my LBS is that the deep profile rims (cxps etc.) are not as strong as open pros.

Probably because they had Open Pros in stock ;-) CXP33s are just as strong and a little more rigid. I think they are ideally suited to fixie wheels, and I built my set from Goldtech hubs and CXP33s.

GrahamG

Guru
CXP 33's are great, no real noticeable flex even under my 13-14 stone honking up park street. Unfortunately I had to send one back with a defect so I've just got a cheapie shimano front wheel on at the minute.

peejay78

cxp22 is fine, been riding them for ages, and very cheap.

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

well I've got the final price of the black CPX33s, they'll be £160 including overnight shipping.
My LBS is seeing if they can get the navigators in, and at hat price... I can't decide between them, so it's down to price really...

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

Ohh, it's got confusingnow.. I was all set on the Navigators but then I found these.

Pro-Lite Rosa wheelset for £192. I think I like them more, and from reading up on them, the extra £40 would be a worthshile investment... just means I have to wait a little while longer for them :rolleyes:

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

just ordered the pro-lite ones. the UK distributor is out of stock, so I've put in an order from a US supplier, turns out they're about £40 cheaper there anyway, even with shipping!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
dudi said:
just ordered the pro-lite ones. the UK distributor is out of stock, so I've put in an order from a US supplier, turns out they're about £40 cheaper there anyway, even with shipping!

and who are the US suppliers ?

Top Bottom