New wheels ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I've a rather old steel framed bike with 700c wheels. I rarely use this bike and I've just noticed that some of the spokes look quite rusty.

I'd like to start using this bike for training, so I want to spruce it up a bit.

The wheels are 'ordinary' (ie, nothing special) alloy wheels with suzue hubs. The rear wheel has a screw-in cassette.

Should I try to get new spokes fitted, or should I look to get a new set of wheels ? If I get a new set of wheels, do I need to get a new cassette fitted ? I shall certainly be getting a new chainset in the very near future, which may or may not affect things (?).

Currently, the gear shifters are on the downtube - does that have any implications ?

You've probably guessed that I'm not technically minded - quite correct !!!

Thank you for any advice or specific advice regarding wheels - I'd particularly be pleased to hear of any recommended wheels.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I'd try cleaning up the spokes with some wire wool and just riding them to start off. If you break a spoke or two, just replace them, but if more than a couple go "ping" then you may be better off getting some new wheels - it sounds as though yours are pretty basic, and as such it may cost you less to replace them than it would do to get them re-spoked. If you do go down the new wheels route, then do a search on here to see what people have been recommending, or work out how much you want to spend then ask for recommendations again.
pubrunner said:
Currently, the gear shifters are on the downtube - does that have any implications ?
You'll need to reach down to the downtube to change gear!;)

tyred

Legendary Member
I'd have a look on ebay for suitable replacements. You'd be surprised at what could turn up. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to find a replacement back wheel to take a thread on freewheel if that is what you want. If your current hubs are in good enough condition, you could have them built into new rim and spokes.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Many thanks for your replies.

I'm not sure if should do as Landslide suggests and just clean up the spokes with some wire wool and use the bike as is;

or

would it be possible to spread the stays slightly to put on newer wheels.
(The front derailleur is elderly Campagnolo and the rear is very elderly Campagnolo Nuovo Record; would these work with modern wheels and chainsets/gears and downtube gear changers ?). The derailleurs each work fine, so I'd be reluctant to change them.

or

should I just buy 'better' 2nd hand wheels which take a cassette ?

Decision, decisions.

Top Bottom