New Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

max150

Bought a Carerra Road Bike in 2014 2nd hand and the bloke had already changed the wheels from the originals to a French make VS Mach1 622x13c One gear change does not work and I think it is the gear cluster thing on the rear wheel maybe its original and not compatible with these new wheels? I use this for work and odd keep fit joy ride not serious biking but want to fit wider tyres and presume at the same time could revert the wheels back to originals sizes? Is this possible?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Your post is not clear so I've done my best with this answer.
The inability to get the chain to go onto either the largest or smallest sprocket (at the rear) is not dependent on the wheel. Adjustment of the rear derailleur limit screws and/or the cable tension is required.
With a 622-13 wheel (rim) you will not be able to fit wider tyres (wider than 28-622) safely.
Sheldon (scroll to 3/4 down) suggests the ratio of tyre width to (internal) rim width (13mm in the OP's case) should be no more than 2:1 and I think that's a good rule of thumb (although note last sentence in quote below).

"Although you can use practically any tire/rim combination that shares the same bead-seat diameter it is unwise to use widely disparate sizes. If you use a very narrow tire on a wide rim, you risk pinch flats and rim damage from road hazards. If you use a very wide tire on a narrow rim, you risk sidewall or rim failure. This combination [also] causes very sloppy handling at low speeds. Many cyclists exceed the recommended widths with no problem."

Last edited:
Top Bottom