New Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bibendum

Ahoy chaps.

I'm riding a single speed bike and looking at splashing a bit on some new wheels - having never had to replace wheels before save for tires and cleaning/maintainance I'm looking for some sage advice.

I'm riding a SS Ali frame, carbon forks and masochistically for a SS, really enjoy hills. My current wheels while decent have a bit too much flex in them for my liking so am being drawn to replacing them.

The one's I've looked at so far are the Campy Scirocco's and Zonda's. You seem to get quite a bit of bang for your buck with them and while I'm never going to be threatening the landspeed record, they seem to possess the stiffness I'm looking for.

Anyone any experience with these wheels or any other recommendations are very welcome. I'm using Michelin Pro 3's at the moment which I'm very happy with indeed & would port across.

Cheers

Bib

Andy Pandy

My wheels are pretty cheap (Miche in open pros). If I was spending any money I'd go for Phil Wood hubs in some deep v rims. Shiney!!

OP
OP
B

Bibendum

fossyant said:
Get some hand built CXP 33's - they don't flex...........got one set on the best road bike, and one set on my new fixed.

Thanks guys. I've already abandoned the Campy idea and am going down the track on getting a wheel build instead. I'll have a look out for those CXP 33's so cheers for that.

Cranks

I have just received some sexy wheels.

IRD Cadence Aero rims, I can't bend them, not a hint.

Went for Miche hubs.

Don't know where you are based, got mine built near ot where I work in Glasgow by a guy named Steve at RoadAce, top fella.

OP
OP
B

Bibendum

Thanks for the steer Fossyant.

Sorted this out yesterday and the Mavic CXP 33 is just the ticket. I'm riding ali deep V type rims right now so even the profile is what I wanted.

Rear wheel build is scheduled for a week or so - If I'm cock a hoop with it, I'll think about having the front done at a later date.

Cheers mister!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't have non matching wheels..... :biggrin:.

OP
OP
B

Bibendum

Sadly she's well wise to this ruse. Being the one who got me into cycling to start with she's been pissing herself about my indesicion on rims, wheels and all that caper. Selah.

Top Bottom