New

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lottie

Hi, I am just about to embark on cycling for fitness. I am 50 years old and a slight 5ft 2inches. Any recommendation for type of bike I should buy. Want to do roads and cycle paths, nothing of rough terrain. I'm thinking a hybrid, my budget is £600 max. Any help would be appreciated.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
buy one that you like to look of and find the weight acceptable... eg, my bike is parked on the first floor, so i don't want to hump too much weight up and down the stairs.

hello and welcome by the way :smile:

Hi Lottie

You need a helping hand at your age - ie a nice light road or hybrid bike with fixed forks ( the suspension forks are very heavy) and a triple or compact chainset will make the hills and wind a bit easier.

Also look at advice on what size you need - this is a minefield these days as there are so many different designs about. Best bet is to try out some at a LBS so you know roughly what size to go for.

Pete (56)

Peteaud

Veteran
Hi.

As said try to have a ride of some.

My wife rides a trek hybrid with front sus forks that she loves as as she says "its easy to ride"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hello Lottie and :welcome:.
Don't get a white bike: they are murder to keep clean!
Happy cycling :hello:

Oxo

Guru
My wife rides a trek hybrid with front sus forks that she loves as as she says "its easy to ride"

My wife rides a Trek FX, no sus forks so the bike is a lot lighter. Trek make specific frames for ladies, not just using smaller mens frames. They also use appropriate gearing.

OP
OP
L

Lottie

Hi Lottie

You need a helping hand at your age - ie a nice light road or hybrid bike with fixed forks ( the suspension forks are very heavy) and a triple or compact chainset will make the hills and wind a bit easier.

Also look at advice on what size you need - this is a minefield these days as there are so many different designs about. Best bet is to try out some at a LBS so you know roughly what size to go for.

Pete (56)

Thanks Pete this is very helpful, do you think Evans are good. I would have to treck to Reading or Bristol so will maybe call first and make sure they have a good range of ladies bikes in stock.

Peteaud

Veteran
My wife rides a Trek FX, no sus forks so the bike is a lot lighter. Trek make specific frames for ladies, not just using smaller mens frames. They also use appropriate gearing.

Yes she has a wsd

She rode both the front sus and the rigid, and prefered the front sus model (its a 2012 model).

Yes it weighs more but for the sort of rides she does on it, its not going to matter.

Top Bottom