Newbie alert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stinaV8

Regular
Hi all , Don't know if i'm putting this in the right place , but hello any way . My Husband and i are into mountain biking , and i commute on a hybrid . On a regular ride we do we cross the Studland ferry and head out into the wilds , we get hordes of road bikes flying past and it looks so effortless for them . This got me thinking and the next thing i had bought an old Falcon pro line off ebay for £11.62p ( i love to tinker ) over a couple of weeks i striped it to the frame , converted it to a cassett style BB de rusted and sprayed the bad bits , new tires , cheepo front chain ring , chain and a few other bits , It stands me in an about 100 quid . Took it out on a ride Saturday , about 40 miles , and it rides o.k . I'm happy with it so treated it to a retro dawes saddle today . I know it's not a top end bike , but i love the tall frame look . I joined a forum last week and said hi , no one replied so i thought i'd try here ^_^
Falcon 001s.JPG

ScotiaLass

Guru
:welcome: FromScotland

I'm a fellow MTB rider but that bike looks cracking - I love the colour!
I bought a new Specialiazed 29er in February and I love it!

Kins

Über Member
Hi all , Don't know if i'm putting this in the right place , but hello any way . My Husband and i are into mountain biking , and i commute on a hybrid . On a regular ride we do we cross the Studland ferry and head out into the wilds , we get hordes of road bikes flying past and it looks so effortless for them . This got me thinking and the next thing i had bought an old Falcon pro line off ebay for £11.62p ( i love to tinker ) over a couple of weeks i striped it to the frame , converted it to a cassett style BB de rusted and sprayed the bad bits , new tires , cheepo front chain ring , chain and a few other bits , It stands me in an about 100 quid . Took it out on a ride Saturday , about 40 miles , and it rides o.k . I'm happy with it so treated it to a retro dawes saddle today . I know it's not a top end bike , but i love the tall frame look . I joined a forum last week and said hi , no one replied so i thought i'd try here ^_^
View attachment 48494

Need more and bigger pictures! Looks nice.

Oh and Welcome.

OP
OP
stinaV8

stinaV8

Regular
Thanks for the welcomes Guys and girls . A few more pics of the falcon , The rear wheel had eaten the deraiuler when i bought it ( hence price ) i straightened it out and used it , but have since bought a new shimano claris item , it seems to work well with the down tube shifters , the threads have stripped in the mounting now ( due to the bending of the mounting when the derailuer got over friendly with the wheel ! ) i have a dropout saver on order ( thread insert ) hopefully i can sort it today and go for a spin this evening . Also a couple of shots out MTBing . The cannondale is my Husbands , it's from around mid 90s we think , converted to conventional fork from headshock . Mine is a carrera titan ( yep halfords job and i've gone through 2 sets of forks and one rer wheel in 3months and am awaiting arrival of a brand new bike with uprated fork under warranty ! And shot of me pulling a wheelie , Not very ladylike i know But fun!
Falcon003s.JPG

falcon006s.JPG

falcon006s.JPG

Falcon 002s.JPG

Falcon 005s.JPG

Castlemain Trail 004s.JPG

Castlemain Trail 005s.JPG

Castlemain Trail 004s.JPG

Attachments

• Falcon 002s.JPG
    Falcon 002s.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
stinaV8

stinaV8

Regular
Hi , Yes it's the Castlemain trailway . About 16 miles from Ringwood in Hampshire to Poole . We use it as part of a bigger loop , lovely ride , When we want hills we go the other way over the chain link ferry to Corfe Castle and Swanage area . Yep , the old man on the platform , don't know if he thinks he'll get a train !
Back to the Falcon , the drop out saver turned up in the post and i drilled it out and fitted the new derailuer this afternoon , just got back from a 20 odd mile ride , no problems , it seems to of done the trick . I'll put a pic up of it in case anyone is in a similar situation and doesn't know what one is or how they work , saves expensive repair work , machining etc .
this is what you get for your fiver ( two of )
dropout saver.jpg
the saver fitted
derailuer 004.jpg

saddle 001.jpg

And one of the dawes saddle ,

Kins

Über Member
Arh, I used to go to Homefield School in Winkton. Now a nursing home I believe. Lovely area round Ringwood. Well it was 30 years ago! ;)

Nice job on the saver.

frank8265

That's a nice looking bike. And so what if it's not a "top-end" bike? Enjoying the rides on your bike makes it a top end bike for you.
I've just brought an old Flandria back to live and back on the road. Was a low end bike when it was new, but how it rides makes it top end for me.
Enjoy this beauty and many happy and safe miles! :thumbsup:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: From another steel fan and BTW Reynolds CrMo tubing is hardly "gaspipe". You're lucky to have standover height on a frame that big but its a much better look than miles of seat-tube, :biggrin:

OP
OP
stinaV8

stinaV8

Regular
Hi all . Thanks for the welcomes , I'm really enjoying the bike , ( Although i have an eye on a Bianchi Too , Hmm . too many bikes in the shed already ) I keep finding myself riding it to work and leaving the hybrid in the shed . I love the BIG frame look , and being a full 6fter i can get away with it ^_^

Top Bottom