Newbie equipment advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bob_betty

Hey another newbie here.

Going in at the deep end now after doing a few 20 milers recently since purchased a new bike (ridgeback road bike or something like that) and have just signed up for the Oxford to Cambridge bike ride for the British Heart Foundation.
Nothing like a good challenge to get in shape!

Thinking of possible equipment that would come in handy I come accross this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....rkparms=algo=CRX&its=S%2BI&itu=UCI%2BSI&otn=4
a 2litre liquid back pack type thing.

Is this any good?

Thanks inadvance

bonj2

this is better
but that one's probably not at all bad

consider for long distance road riding not having stuff on your back though.
e.g. have a water bottle on the frame for drinks, and puncture repair stuff in a saddle bag (the sort that sit under the saddle and attach to the seatpost and/or back of the rails).

RedBike

On most organised rides there are plenty of stops for water / food so you don't normal need to carry huge amounts with you (i'm not familiar with your ride).

On a road bike I would probably stick with water bottles and a jersey with big pockets.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If you are happy carrying something like that on your back then that is a good option, but you may well find it more comfortable to get a bottle cage on your frame. And as bonj says some sort of seat pack like this...

byegad

Legendary Member
The weight should be ideally on the bike not on you. A sweaty back can be a nuisance and in the worst case boils are not fun. A couple of bottle cages on the bike and a seat pack will carry everything you need and leave you comfortable.

Top Bottom