Newbie help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I'm training for the London Marathon and as part of training I'd like to get out more on my bike. I'm pretty sure my bike is pretty entry level - it's a Salcano hybrid and is quite a few years old but in decent condition.

I don't enjoy riding on the roads but have enjoyed riding on canal paths and light trails, I also want something that I can easily use with a turbo trainer and quite fancy trying a duathlon. Can I get anything for £500-£600? I've been looking at Rove bikes but quite honestly have no idea where to start!

Thanks
Julie

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably a duathlon is ridden on roads, so although you say you don’t like riding on roads, you’d need to get a bike suitable for road use, and train on roads. So that’s going to rule out a mountain bike. Drop handlebars will probably make you more competitive over distance too.
You could keep the hybrid for the rougher stuff and maybe get a roadbike or an adventure/gravel bike for both off and on roads.
£500-600 should get you something used. Bikes are in short supply new due to increased demand and potential shortages resulting from Covid so anything that is available tends to be higher priced

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Presumably a duathlon is ridden on roads, so although you say you don’t like riding on roads, you’d need to get a bike suitable for road use, and train on roads. So that’s going to rule out a mountain bike. Drop handlebars will probably make you more competitive over distance too.

A bike is a bike, and any type can be ridden for casual exercise or fitness training. I see far more MTB's being ridden on the streets of London than I see road bikes. They might not be the fastest or most energy-efficient means of cycling but they will do the job and plenty of people use them. You won't win anything on a hefty bike running knobbly tyres competing against road going machinery, but if participation is more important than where you finish, it doesn't actually matter if the bike is competitive or not, so long as you finish the event.

OP
OP
S

StitchHasAGlitch

The duathlon bit is the least important really, I'll definitely in it for participation and something to help with my training - certainly nothing serious!

vickster

Legendary Member
A bike is a bike, and any type can be ridden for casual exercise or fitness training. I see far more MTB's being ridden on the streets of London than I see road bikes. They might not be the fastest or most energy-efficient means of cycling but they will do the job and plenty of people use them. You won't win anything on a hefty bike running knobbly tyres competing against road going machinery, but if participation is more important than where you finish, it doesn't actually matter if the bike is competitive or not, so long as you finish the event.
She wants to do a race tho and presumably well on the bike part as well as the running.
She’s asked for advice about a new (at least to her) bike so that’s what I have given 👍🏻

Big John

Guru
As an ex marathon runner I'd save the bike for times when you're injured so you can maintain some fitness rather than lose it all. What you need is time on your feet. The bike idea sounds great but from a marathon perspective its marginally short of useless. Increase your weekly running mileage little by little but ride the bike for a bit of fun and not as part of your training plan. Good luck for next October, covid permitting 👍

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

StitchHasAGlitch

Thanks for your help, I'm going to stick with my hybrid. My local bike shop have swapped the rear axel to a quick release one for me so I can use it on my turbo trainer. I'll see what the year brings and if I'm still going then might look to upgrade.

OP
OP
S

StitchHasAGlitch

As an ex marathon runner I'd save the bike for times when you're injured so you can maintain some fitness rather than lose it all. What you need is time on your feet. The bike idea sounds great but from a marathon perspective its marginally short of useless. Increase your weekly running mileage little by little but ride the bike for a bit of fun and not as part of your training plan. Good luck for next October, covid permitting 👍

Thanks Big John, I've been injured for months which is why my bike made an appearance and I've quite enjoyed it so going to keep it up. My Physio has recommended I concentrate on doing hills rather than longer rides though, I've also signed up to some virtual challenges to do on my bike. Fingers crossed I can finally see an end to my injury misery - I managed a pain free mile yesterday!!

Top Bottom