Newbie help - which road bike shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coxy00

Afternoon!

Long story cut short, gonna give tri's a go... And having never ridden a road bike before i'm in need of a bit of help.

Bought a pretty standard entry level bike and have no idea if all shoe clips are the same? Can't for love nor money find any info on which type of pedal mine has, below is a link to the manual (it isn't specific to my bike but rather the whole range) - scroll down to page 13 (and the bottom of that page) for a little diagram of the pedal clip....

http://www.elswickbikes.co.uk/ElswickBikes-manual.pdf

Would rather not spend more money on pedals, just wanna find the right shoe for that clip?! And i have zero idea what shoe type to get?!

Many many thanks for helping out a completely clueless newbie!

Trickydicky

From what i can understand you have toe staps on flat pedals. Which mean that you dont clip into them. You just tighten the buckles around any shoe. No need to buy special shoes, untill you go and buy some pedals and you will then start lookin into "clipless" pedals which attack your feet to the bike. There are several good explinations of these in other topic.

TD

OP
OP
C

coxy00

Thanks for your reply

The thing is the manual says

"Do not lock your feet into the pedals until you are fully confident with the release mechanism" and mentioned "toe clips"

Which is what's led me to believe there is some sort of click in and out process?

Thanks again

Trickydicky

Thanks for your reply

The thing is the manual says

"Do not lock your feet into the pedals until you are fully confident with the release mechanism" and mentioned "toe clips"

Which is what's led me to believe there is some sort of click in and out process?

Thanks again

Not as far as i can tell, the locking in process that i think they are talkin about is the tightening of the straps, which will make it more difficult to move you foot out, therefore maybe causing you to fall over at traffic lights cos you for get about these things when there is so much else to think about.
But otherwise i dont think they are SPD or SPD-SL which are the two main types of peddle they would likely be providing you with. If you have a look on google images for these and see if you pedals look like either of them.

Top Bottom