newbie help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

airconadam

hey fellas just joined 21 years old and just retired my motorcycle due to the winter and soon to be salt on the road:angry:So hoping some of you here can help me,i am currently looking for a mountain bike nothing to fancy but nothing to crude and what will do the job,iwill be using it some nights after work and at a weekend for some local off roading and on road with a price range of around £200/250 i have seen one which i will post the link to but wanted to know if iam just wasting my money much appreciated.

adam:biggrin:

http://www.wheels2ride.com/2010-Ventura-Telluride.aspx

GilesM

Legendary Member
For £200 to £250 you are not likely to get anything too good, the one in the link is not great, I would suggest trying to go for a second hand one at that price, or if possible see if your budget could stretch to something like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kona_Fire_Mountain_Deluxe_2009/5360039069/

The advantage with the Kona is that as parts wear out over time then you could replace them with higher spec components, the Kona frame is pretty sound.

OP
OP
A

airconadam

Thanks for the replys fellas,this is the problem i would love to go out and spend £600 but i wouldnt like to use it for 3 months and leave it in the garage for 3 years and also are you paying for the name of the bike sometimes or are they better quality,like you say i could replace the parts after they wear out. Is it not possible to change the parts on the ventura once they wear out? but as the saying goes you only get what you pay for!!

adam

p.s How is the carrera vulcan disc? from halfords

02GF74

Über Member
I've not heard of that make so cannot comment but looking at the picture. it doesn't look too bad. Question is are you spending you money on the right bike and could you do better than that?

I have bought bikes from ebay - got one that was immaculate for 1/3 RRP and with minimal wear so I would recoomend you have a look on there.

How tall are you?

look at this

my friend bought one of these, brand new, for a bit under half price - it is a good value bike.

the one in the link is up your way - bid to £ 250 and if it has seen little use, you have a bargin. Note it is L frame - you'd need to be 5 ft 10 in tall , give or take a couple of inches either side.

jack cameron

It is true what they say ,you get what you pay for,,,but!!!!! looking at the Ventura,it looks like not a bad bike at all.The dearest is not always the best,and you can replace the parts as you say.Looking at what you are going to use it for and the length of time you will be using it the Ventura to me looks a good buy.I have a Mountain Bike which was not on the highest range,but still going strong with it with no parts needing replaced as yet,just your luck maybe.And!!! i am a heavy user....go for the Ventura,it'l be a decent bike

OP
OP
A

airconadam

I am 5,11 that looks like a nice bike on ebay and about 20mins away from me also ;) i wouldnt want to pay more than £250 for it with it being used but we will see i have also been looking at the carrera vulcan from halfords with great reports,i do like the ventura but wouldnt like it to break on within a month of use iam hopefully going to get into the cycle scene abit more thanks alot

adam

02GF74

Über Member
airconadam said:
I am 5,11 that looks like a nice bike on ebay and about 20mins away from me also ;) i wouldnt want to pay more than £250 for it with it being used

bear in mind it is full sus so if you are buying new, then your a upping you budget by at least £ 100 before you reach decent quality bikes - don;t even think of £ 200 Tesco or Argos full sus bikes, they are complete garbage.

My friend had one of these, bought for 1/2 price and for the money, even at full rpiuce £ 500 it is well speced bike, Ok not the best components or the lightest, but then you would be looking at £ 1,000 + for that.

if it is local, take a look at it and maybe haggle a deal with the seller - flash a wad of notes and usually that would work.

check that it is not been too abuse and that the components are not worn - mountain bikes plugging through mud do suffer - chains in particular.

OP
OP
A

airconadam

hey fellas thanks for all your input but i have now ordered the carrera vulcan disc 09 and will be picking it up on sunday iam sure i will be posting very soon when i want to do some upgrades once again thanks alot

adam

Top Bottom