Newbie here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mutterbird

Hi, just saying hello... Used to cycle as a child loads and loved it. Then after a gap of many, many years I decided to get a bike for me and my two kids (both under 2). I have a Bakfiets and we all love it. Has turned out to be a real gem, and we are very happy!

Looking forward to my two boys learning to cycle too.

shimano

welcome mutterbird - bit of a newbie myself. had to google Bakfiets, never heard of them before, what model do you have?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Welcome, I didn't cycle when mine where small enough for a Bakfiets, but it might have been nice if I had done that with them.

OP
OP
M

mutterbird

Hi everyone. Thanks for your messages. I have a Bakfiets.nl Cargobike Long. And I truly love it! It is a 2 wheeler.
I hope my children learn to love cycling too, that willbe the next stage!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I didn't find out until after I had my 3rd one cycling that one of the ways to teach them is to remove the pedals or buy one of those likeabikes with no pedals, rather than go down the stabilizer route. That way they learn to balance rather than learning to lean/rely on the stabilizer.

OP
OP
M

mutterbird

Thanks Summerdays, we shall definately be going down the Likeabike route with our two, makes sense. Mt eldest is nearly two so about getting to that stage now?

Willow

I didn't give mine stabilisers, straight onto two wheels took them up and down to nursery everyday - nearly killed my back but they were quickly cycling on 2 wheels age 3 I think. Now at 11 my oldest has just found how much freedom being able to cycle gives him. He has just done his cycling proficiency which has given him a confidence on the roads he didn't have and there is no stopping him. As a consequence I'm back on the bike, have done 10 miles this morning and am getting prepared to cycle to work in Sept when I hope my youngest will be good enough on the road to cycle to school.

Top Bottom