newbie needing advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John953

I have a small budget but i wanted to take up cycling for adventure and working out. I purchased a schwinn 700c volare 1300. i purchased it online for $239. After doing more research i have few questions.

1. Is it absolutely necessary to be fitted? prices are $80 and up almost as much as my bike.Are there cheaper options?

2. What size of inner tube and tires do i need for this specific bike? I read that stock tires and inner tubes are bad.i want to purchase them online for discount rate.

3. what kind of gator skin tires should i get as i want to do long distance riding 10+ miles and should i buy manual pump kit or co2 kit?

thanx for your help guys

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd ride it first before spending money on tyres etc, see how you get on with the stock tyres. Inner tubes are much of a muchness, don't spend your money replacing, get a spare, any will do pretty much

The bike has 700c tyres, being a road bike, assume they are 23mm or 25mm, so you'll be looking for 700x23 or 25 (and inner tubes to match)

If you can cancel your order, you can get it cheaper on Amazon (your post suggests you are in the US) http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Volare-Bicycle-White-18-Inch/dp/B00AWNI0CU

Most members here are in the UK, but there are a few regular posters across the water

10 miles isn't too far, a manual pump should be fine, especially if the tyres have some puncture resistance, just avoid glass and flint!

Assuming you have bought the right size bike, you shouldn't need an $80 fit. Lots of videos to help on yuoutube IF you have an issue. It may fit you like a glove once the seat height is right (google for help there)

Happy riding :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a small budget but i wanted to take up cycling for adventure and working out. I purchased a schwinn 700c volare 1300. i purchased it online for $239. After doing more research i have few questions.

1. Is it absolutely necessary to be fitted? prices are $80 and up almost as much as my bike.Are there cheaper options?
Not unless you have a problem , for general riding have a look at ..
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

2. What size of inner tube and tires do i need for this specific bike? I read that stock tires and inner tubes are bad.i want to purchase them online for discount rate.
700c18-25 is fairly standard

3. what kind of gator skin tires should i get as i want to do long distance riding 10+ miles and should i buy manual pump kit or co2 kit?
I ride 700 x23 gators but i have read that 700x 25 gives a bit comfier ride , get a track pump with a gauge for keeping your tyres inflated correctly and take a smaller pump out on your ride.Also carry a couple of tubes,tyre levers and a multi tool as its not much fun trying to repair a puncture at the side of the road,
That all said i only get 5-6 punctures a year so 1 every 1000 miles or so is not to bad.

thanx for your help guys

Top Bottom