Newbie needs advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

foshan

Hi im new to cycling and havent been on a bike for over 20 years.
I have decided to try it to keep fit after having to stop going to the gym due to a recurring shoulder injury.
The advice im looking for is i have purchased a second hand Claud Butler Chinook off Ebay for £150 which has road tyres on. Can i change these for off road tyres and if thats possible do i have to change the wheels as well or can i put them on the existing ones.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You can put off road tyres on it but they will be very much slower on tarmac than the road tyres it has now. Unless you're planning on riding up a mountain I would stick with what's on the bike and spend the lolly on some padded gloves, padded shorts (dhb from Wiggle are good value) and a helmet.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome back to cycling!

OK, you have a hybrid bike with 700c wheels. It's a flexible type but designed primarily for roads, paths, towpaths, gravel tracks, trails, so a wide variety of regular terrain. So it really depends what kind of 'off-road' capability you're looking for? Anything too rough will shake you to bits anyway! If you're after deeper treaded tyres, then look to winter tyres or Shwalbe Marathonsgood all-rounders with good p*ncture protection.

There is an alternative and that is cyclocross tyres which are the right size for your rims and offer a knobbly tread, great for muddy/gravelly stuff, but more compromised on the road.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
F

foshan

Welcome back to cycling!

OK, you have a hybrid bike with 700c wheels. It's a flexible type but designed primarily for roads, paths, towpaths, gravel tracks, trails, so a wide variety of regular terrain. So it really depends what kind of 'off-road' capability you're looking for? Anything too rough will shake you to bits anyway! If you're after deeper treaded tyres, then look to winter tyres or Shwalbe Marathonsgood all-rounders with good p*ncture protection.

There is an alternative and that is cyclocross tyres which are the right size for your rims and offer a knobbly tread, great for muddy/gravelly stuff, but more compromised on the road.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
F

foshan

Sorry i didnt make it quite clear.
My wife has purchased a mountain bike and would like to go to places like carsington water and sherwood pines so i was wondering which tyres would be best suited to both these places and the road. You mentioned cyclocross tyres or would my road tyres be ok for both as i wouldn't really want to compromise my road cycling.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sorry i didnt make it quite clear.
My wife has purchased a mountain bike and would like to go to places like carsington water and sherwood pines so i was wondering which tyres would be best suited to both these places and the road. You mentioned cyclocross tyres or would my road tyres be ok for both as i wouldn't really want to compromise my road cycling.

Unless it's really rough or muddy, then your normal tyres should be OK (do they have any tread?).
I go over all kinds of roughish surfaced tracks and trails on a race-bike with standard tyres. Give it a go first!

OP
OP
F

foshan

Yes they do have a slight tread on them i will give them a go on Sunday and see how they are.
Thanks very much for the advice from all :thumbsup:

Top Bottom