Newbie needs advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlhungus

Hi there,

I am relatively new to cycling (had to give up running) and I was thinking of 'upgrading' the piece of junk I currently have to something a little more serious. I was thinking of getting a second hand bike, basically looking for value for money, and noticed a couple of seemingly good bargins on ebay. One is a Ambrosio Celcius for £700 (new) and the other was a Colnago Dream Plus for £800. These prices represent my budget and seem pretty decent prices. Could some of you experts help to educate me as to whether these do actually represent good investments?

Many thanks in advance.

Maz

Guru
Hi/Welcome,
I don't know the first thing about these bikes, admittedly, but you haven't said what sort of riding you intend doing. Hopefully all road-based or you could easily end up damaging the bike.

OP
OP
C

carlhungus

Hi Mate,

Yes, I will be only cycling on the road during dry weather as I have a mountain bike for off road and wet weather.

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
If you put links to the eBay pages in the thread so we can see the specs on offer it might help with the response.

RedBike

The advert for the Ambriosio is rather confusing. I don't think i've heard of any of those bits. For example, what are microshift mechanisms? My initial impression is it's a budget carbon frame thats had a lot of cheap nasty parts hung on it to get the cost down.

Colnagos are lovely bikes; but i'm not sure if it's worth that sort of money (I bet someone will!). You're really paying through the nose for the brand name. At the end of the day it's an old Aluminium framed bike with a slightly outdated 9speed groupset. For a £1000 you could have a new all carbon planet-x with dura-ace groupset.

OP
OP
C

carlhungus

RedBike said:
The advert for the Ambriosio is rather confusing. I don't think i've heard of any of those bits. For example, what are microshift mechanisms? My initial impression is it's a budget carbon frame thats had a lot of cheap nasty parts hung on it to get the cost down.

Colnagos are lovely bikes; but i'm not sure if it's worth that sort of money (I bet someone will!). You're really paying through the nose for the brand name. At the end of the day it's an old Aluminium framed bike with a slightly outdated 9speed groupset. For a £1000 you could have a new all carbon planet-x with dura-ace groupset.

Cheers mate. I was wondering why there was no great rush to buy these bikes.

Top Bottom